What joint is this?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Joinery forum

Forum topic by leftcoaster posted 06-04-2016 02:32 AM 1178 views 0 times favorited 10 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View leftcoaster's profile


229 posts in 1026 days

06-04-2016 02:32 AM

10 replies so far

View conifur's profile


955 posts in 1301 days

#1 posted 06-04-2016 03:00 AM

Who knows by the pics, it is a commercial product, why do want to know? Or just cant figure it out, get a good book on joinery

-- Knowledge and experience equals Wisdom, Michael Frankowski

View Aj2's profile


1732 posts in 1947 days

#2 posted 06-04-2016 03:03 AM

There’s no name for that joint it’s from the shabby chic woodworkers book.They make up their own stuff to fool people into thinking they are getting something great.
At least it’s not a pallet sitting on cinder blocks painted black. :)

-- Aj

View a1Jim's profile


117242 posts in 3726 days

#3 posted 06-04-2016 03:34 AM

Part of it has butt joints and part are alternating fingers such as a finger or box joints.

-- wood crafting & woodworking classes

View Loren's profile


10477 posts in 3797 days

#4 posted 06-04-2016 05:20 AM

It looks photoshopped. It would be possible to
make something with that joinery look, but I doubt
it’s worth the trouble.

View jar944's profile


127 posts in 1587 days

#5 posted 06-04-2016 02:45 PM

The face boards are mitered at the joint and applied.. it’s basically a veneer of pallet like wood over some internal framework of likely 2×4s screwed together with drywall screws.

View leftcoaster's profile


229 posts in 1026 days

#6 posted 06-04-2016 04:12 PM

Thanks guys—won’t be pursuing this one!

View jbay's profile (online now)


2681 posts in 1048 days

#7 posted 06-04-2016 05:12 PM

Wouldn’t be hard to do. If I were trying to copy the same look, this is what I would do.
Glue up boards, make a 4 sided box with mitered corners and a 45 miter around the top.
Cut the inside leg of the boxes down whatever thickness your top is going to be.
Make 2 stretchers with a 45 degree miter on them and attach them to the legs. I would probably use loose tenons.
Glue up your top, and miter all 4 sides, and attach it to the base.
3 or 4 pallets and your done.

(I don’t see any alternating fingers/box joints anywhere.)

View GerryB's profile


69 posts in 2731 days

#8 posted 06-04-2016 05:44 PM

One way to be sure would tbe to X-ray it.
My guess would be pocket holes with veneer overlay

-- The pursuit of excellence is gratifying and healthy. The pursuit of perfection is frustrating, neurotic, and a terrible waste of time. Edwin Bliss

View leftcoaster's profile


229 posts in 1026 days

#9 posted 06-04-2016 09:22 PM

JBay thanks – very helpful!

View Tootles's profile


808 posts in 2651 days

#10 posted 06-05-2016 11:33 AM

If those are solid pieces of timber used for the sides and top, perhaps it is done like this …

Note that I have left some lines in place on the horizontal piece to show the original shape of the timber before cutting the joint. Have a look at the remaining shaded faces to see what the joint looks like. On the vertical, you need to look through the piece at the dashed lines to see how that would be cut. No, they are not very clear so if I rotated just the vertical piece, it would look like this …

A bit of careful marking required, but not a difficult joint to make.

-- I may have lost my marbles, but I still have my love of woodworking

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics