Building those support thingies?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Designing Woodworking Projects forum

Forum topic by newwoodbutcher posted 06-02-2016 06:27 PM 443 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View newwoodbutcher's profile


777 posts in 3053 days

06-02-2016 06:27 PM

I’m building a Walnut sewing machine cabinet for my wife. The top will fold open from left to right (the fold out top will be 44” long and 27” wide) doubling the size of the top as a work surface. In order to make the support very strong I’m thinking about two pull out/slide out wooden arms that will be concealed until pulled out more than half the 44” length of the top. I can probably cobble together a system to support the hidden and extended support arms (what do you call those things anyway?) but I’m sure there is an elegant solution that has been developed over the years. I’ve spent about an hour with Google looking for a diagram or illustration to find it with no success. Can anyone guide me to a solution?

-- Ken

2 replies so far

View bondogaposis's profile


5093 posts in 2554 days

#1 posted 06-02-2016 06:39 PM

I have seen these on secretaries, There is nothing to them, just boards that slide in and out pockets. The trick for you will be, if there is a enough room in the cabinet to fit the pockets. There has to be enough of the board remaining in the pocket to support the top, so you have to have some sort of stop to keep from pulling them too far out.

-- Bondo Gaposis

View newwoodbutcher's profile


777 posts in 3053 days

#2 posted 06-02-2016 07:53 PM

Thank you. thought I would hide the slider behind a faux apron in the front and the top rail in the back.

-- Ken

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics