Need help for broken drill press.

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by clin posted 06-02-2016 01:56 AM 765 views 0 times favorited 8 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View clin's profile


838 posts in 990 days

06-02-2016 01:56 AM

I have an old Packard floor standing drill press (model 1600HDF). I was trying to lower the table, lower than I had ever used it before.

I think the collar(?) on the table started binding. So instead of the table lowering as I cranked the handle, it grabbed the rack and started to pull it up. I heard a snap and saw the top rack ring pop up.

The rack ring cracked. Any ideas on where I can get a replacement. The column measured right at 2.875” in diameter.

I’m not experienced with drill press components. But I assume most of these rings are similar. Aside from the set screw, the ring has a taper on the inside where it traps the top of the rack.

I don’t necessarily expect to find a Packard ring, since it’s old and I don’t believe is considered a premium drill press, but I figure these things might be somewhat standardized.

Any ideas where to go for a replacement?

-- Clin

8 replies so far

View MadMark's profile


979 posts in 1447 days

#1 posted 06-02-2016 02:42 AM



-- Madmark -

View clin's profile


838 posts in 990 days

#2 posted 06-02-2016 04:10 PM

I’ve check McMaster and they don’t seem to carry any replacement parts for drill presses.

-- Clin

View William Shelley's profile

William Shelley

565 posts in 1464 days

#3 posted 06-02-2016 07:36 PM

If you never swing the table side to side then you could drill and tap the column, and countersink a flathead screw to be slightly below the valley of the teeth on the rack.

-- Woodworking from an engineer's perspective

View JoeinGa's profile


7736 posts in 2001 days

#4 posted 06-02-2016 09:29 PM

Might be able to find a short piece of thick-walled pipe with the right ID. Cut a slice from it, then drill and tap a hole for the upright to attach to.

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

View William Shelley's profile

William Shelley

565 posts in 1464 days

#5 posted 06-02-2016 11:27 PM

Another option could be to make a collar out of hardwood. Get a 2-7/8” hole saw bit (or close) and block of maple or something. Drill bolt-holes through two sides of the block longways, then cut the block in half (so you cut perpendicular to the bolt holes). Then bolt the two halves back together, and use the 2-7/8” bit to make a hole in the center. Route the chamfer on the inside edge and then disassemble, and re-assemble clamping around the column.

-- Woodworking from an engineer's perspective

View cutmantom's profile


405 posts in 3029 days

#6 posted 06-02-2016 11:37 PM

Find a drill press with the same dimension column that parts are available, making something from wood oz probably the cheapest, don’t forget to clean and lubricate everything

View clin's profile


838 posts in 990 days

#7 posted 06-02-2016 11:48 PM

While I appreciate the suggestions for DIY repairs, I’d rather find a suitable replacement. I strongly suspect there are, but I have no idea who the go-to sources are for spare parts for drill presses.

There probably are replacement parts available, but I think I’ll need to talk to a supplier about what I need. I just need some idea who that its.

-- Clin

View bbasiaga's profile


1231 posts in 1989 days

#8 posted 06-03-2016 01:39 AM

Call Grizzly. Have your part dimensions ready. If one of their parts will fit, I bet they’ll sell it to you.


-- Part of engineering is to know when to put your calculator down and pick up your tools.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics