|Forum topic by CharlesA||posted 06-01-2016 01:48 PM||1118 views||0 times favorited||2 replies|
06-01-2016 01:48 PM
After a recent Chris Schwarz blog, i decided to try soap finish on a picture frame I was making for an environmental certificate for our church. I figured soap finish was perfect since it wouldn’t need to be protected from much and was organic, biodegradable, etc. I made up a little bit and experimented and I liked it.
I was using Dri-Pak soap flakes.
Yesterday was the time to apply the finish, and I made a batch and put in the water too quickly, and I was having trouble getting it to smooth out—more like hunks of gel floating in water, so I poured it down the sink and made a new batch—much better.
What I did not anticipate—that half cup of soap in hot water ended up forming a 8” solid block in my trap. I tried using hot water and then drano so I wouldn’t have to take apart the plumbing, but to no avail. I ended up having to take off the trap. I think the only reason it came out as well as it did is that I poured down a lot of boiling water this morning, and I think that softened it into a jello-like consistency that would easily slide out. That stuff gets really hard when dried, and I think that would have been a real problem.
Thought you’d might want to learn from my mistake.
-- "Man is the only animal which devours his own, for I can apply no milder term to the general prey of the rich on the poor." ~Thomas Jefferson