Need some advise on and old oak log

  • Advertise with us

« back to Finishing forum

Forum topic by Kevkill posted 05-24-2016 06:04 PM 648 views 0 times favorited 3 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Kevkill's profile


4 posts in 917 days

05-24-2016 06:04 PM

Topic tags/keywords: question wood oak

I’m finishing this old oak log from a barn built in the early 1900’s. It had some wood rot I chiseled most of it out and have been sanding a lot!! But no matter how much I sand I still get flakes breaking off. So my first question is do I need to keep sanding until it stops or will putting a poly or a lacquer stop it from flaking. 2nd question there are some soft spots in the wood I just can’t get to with the tools I have would a wood hardener help with that at all. And my final question is can you spray a poly through a spray gun I’ve seen lacquer sprayed so just wondering. Plus any tips would be greatly apriciated.

3 replies so far

View chrisstef's profile


17683 posts in 3155 days

#1 posted 05-24-2016 06:28 PM

You can soak the punky areas with CA glue which a move done by a lot of turners. I would stop sanding personally. I don’t think youre ever going to solidify something that old and worn.

My goal would be to firm up any punky areas with wood hardener or CA glue and knock off any heavy ridges to prep the surface for finish. Poly or lacquer should firm it up quite a bit so youre not losing flakes but I wouldn’t ever expect 100% on a piece like that. Eventually youre going to have to say enough is enough ya know.

You can definitely spray poly through a gun. I do believe water based is preferred but ill defer to others with more knowledge on it.

-- Its not a crack, its a casting imperfection.

View Kevkill's profile


4 posts in 917 days

#2 posted 05-24-2016 07:01 PM

Kinda what I was thinking. Thank you for the advise I’ll look into CA glue. This project is definitely more difficult than I expected but I couldn’t just let them turn it into fire wood.

View runswithscissors's profile


2846 posts in 2174 days

#3 posted 05-25-2016 03:28 AM

“Git Rot” is an epoxy made for stabilizing and hardening punky wood. I assume it’s still made—if not, there should be substitutes available. Supposedly it is absorbed into the punky wood via capillary acttion. It’s quite thin to help in this, but like any epoxy, it will run right out of any holes that go clear through.

Just checked. You can get it from Amazon. I hope you can stand the fact it isn’t cheap.

-- I admit to being an adrenaline junky; fortunately, I'm very easily frightened

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics