LumberJocks

Unique Dust Collection Review Opportunity

  • Advertise with us

« back to Focus on the Workspace forum

Forum topic by BEWoodworks posted 03-30-2016 03:34 PM 446 views 0 times favorited 0 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View BEWoodworks's profile

BEWoodworks

22 posts in 309 days


03-30-2016 03:34 PM

Topic tags/keywords: dust collection shop move new upgrade sketchup planning design organization

Several months ago I set up dust collection in my shop. Purchased a Laguna 1.5hp Cyclone DC from rockler during the Black Friday sale. I did lots of research to rearrange and set up my shop properly for dust collection. After a lot of work and finally working DC system I did one project. The dust collection worked well, not perfect, and collected about 1.5/2 buckets of chips. Now in the beginning of April, we are moving. The good news is the garage at the new place is significantly larger (BIGGER SHOP :))) but the bad news is I must move all my tools and redo all dust collection. Although it seems like a lot of time wasted I think there will be a large benefit to this move. I will have a chance to review my ducting, routing and hardware choices to see how they performed. I will also be able to see how my home depot 30ga ducting performed. I thought I would post my result from removing the original system and reviewing any spots where dust/chips may be getting caught. I can evaluate what decisions I made correctly and which I should revise. I hope to be able to post my findings and results here.

First Install:
I arranged my shop using sketchup. It is a 1 car garage with an alcove I can use to get extra space. Photos are on my page. I used standard 30ga metal ducting, fittings, screws and tape found at home depot. I modified the elbows and the wyes to flow the correct direction using snips and some elbow grease. I am very curious to see if chips got trapped at these locations. I screwed the ducts together with 1/2” self tapping screws and used metal duct sealant tape to seal the joints, and used plumbing strap to hang it. I ran one main trunk line that runs about 23’ linear to the jointer. It then has wyes to Table saw/planer, band saw, and drill press/router table. I ran 6” as long as possible, reduced to 4”, installed blast gates, went from blast gate to tool with flex hose. The flex is sealed to the blast gates with hose clamps.


0 replies so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com