How are woodturning tools measured?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodworking Skill Share forum

Forum topic by SCOTSMAN posted 03-09-2010 11:26 PM 1128 views 0 times favorited 3 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View SCOTSMAN's profile


5849 posts in 3821 days

03-09-2010 11:26 PM

I am amazed when I see let’s say a 3/8ths inch spindle gouge appear much bigger/wider than 3/8thes of an inch. In fact most woodturning tools don’t seem to be (in my view) the size stated so how are the measurements worked out. I would love to know as this has puzzled me for a short while now Maybe I am worng but someone here will surely know. God Bless my very dear friends .Grandpa Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

3 replies so far

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

8693 posts in 4535 days

#1 posted 03-10-2010 12:25 AM

I think they measure the diameter of the cutting edge.

-- -** You are never to old to set another goal or to dream a new dream ****************** Dick, & Barb Cain, Hibbing, MN.

View hairy's profile


2783 posts in 3768 days

#2 posted 03-10-2010 01:57 AM

Alistair, it depends on where you are. The UK and the USA go about it differently.

Clear as mud?

-- My reality check bounced...

View Glen Peterson's profile

Glen Peterson

556 posts in 3292 days

#3 posted 03-12-2010 03:34 PM

Nice link hairy.I haven’t seen that chart before. My understanding was that the Brits measured the distance between the inside of the flutes while us Yanks measured to the outside of the flutes since we like everything bigger.

-- Glen

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics