Hello folks, this is my first time posting here or anywhere about my new shop planning. I have recently gotten the green light to press with building my wood shop in my new house. This will be my first time setting up a permanent shop in a dedicated space in my basement. My shop at my old house was spread out all over the unfinished basement with no thought and no DC ducting. I have some questions I am trying to get answered before I make expensive mistakes/oversights. The images below are my first attempt at the layout and outlet plan. I plan on rewiring everything I can to 220v and run dedicated circuits to each.
The bathroom that takes up my space wasn’t the first plan for this shop space. We had the bathroom roughed in when we built the house last year and I got trumped on the other prime space where I had pictured the shop to be in during the build.
I can offer some info about the shop:
- Right now, I only have everything framed. 2×4 walls throughout.
- Yes, there is a sump hole in the back left corner. Again, If I was planning on this area being the shop, I would have had them move the sump and bathroom. I will box it in and seal it while leaving access to work on it.
- The main house panel is in the shop, 200A. I plan on putting in a sub-panel right next to it for all my circuits.
- I have a 3hp grizzly dust collector that I have taken apart and plan on modifying a setup with a cyclone and also to save space. I plan on ceiling mounting the ducting. (8’ open joist ceilings)
- Everything but the TS and DC is or will be on wheels, BS and DP are full height. Also, I plan on making the decks for the carts the same height as the TS outfeed table for a multi-use outfeed table/support table for everything.
- I will plan on running 12GA wire for all the outlets except for the lighting (14GA) and DC. (The 3hp DC is 220v at 18A running)
- I am planning on 4’ outlet heights throughout except for the outlets at the bench.
- I have a 60 gal air compressor that is living in my basement utility room that I plan on piping to the shop with various fittings and hoses around the walls and ceiling.
- The 2×6 bump in the back right of the shop is a foundation wall
Questions I have regarding my specific space and setup:
- Can I modify the 3hp DC to use only 1 bag. Every system I see at 3hp has 2 bags. (I also have a 1.5hp Jet CD from my old house that I can swap out if you folks feel it would be strong enough)
- Do I need to mount the DC motor with rubber bushings for vibration? I actually don’t even know if the thing works. I bought it at an auction (they said it worked) and have not had a strong enough outlet to test it.
- I don’t have a ton a room to work long boards. Is my table saw in a good place?
- Where the heck am I going to keep my lumber?? I have a 4×10x3 pile that needs to fit in the shop somehow.
- I have 2 10’ sections of bowling alley (the middle pine section) and I was planning on using one of them for my bench top. Do any of you have a reason not to use pine bowling alley? Do you have a creative suggestions for a use for the second piece?
- Where is a good resource for DC ducting planning for size and correct suction?
Thank you for your time and I appreciate any advice from you folks. Please let me know if I am out to lunch on any of these plans. This is Version 1.0. I am very excited to see this come to life.