how to make a sliding lid for a chest

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodworking Skill Share forum

Forum topic by grace123 posted 03-14-2016 05:04 PM 663 views 0 times favorited 4 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View grace123's profile


251 posts in 2962 days

03-14-2016 05:04 PM

The above are pictures of the type of lid I want to make for a keepsake chest. I do not want to make a full-size blanket chest as is shown in the above pictures. I am asking for input on how to make the lid. I could buy the plans, but as I already said I am just interested in how to do the lid, not the whole chest. So if someone can share how to make this type of lid I will be very grateful. Thanks.

4 replies so far

View Roger's profile


20952 posts in 3004 days

#1 posted 03-14-2016 08:32 PM

I would think that a lip, like 1/2”x1/2” square, (or bigger or smaller), and the length of the top, on the front and back would be what you’d need. Then the lids/tops would need like a C-channel to slide over the lip, if you know what I mean. Almost like a pencil box sliding lid that is on the inside of the box, but this one would be on the outside.. Just my $.02

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Keep your dust collector fed.

View JBrow's profile


1366 posts in 1120 days

#2 posted 03-15-2016 04:10 AM


Given the limited details of the design you are considering, it is difficult to be specific. Generally, the only sliding joint that I can think of is a tongue and groove joint. It would prevent the lid from lifting up and off the box. The only way to access the box is to slide the lid.

The tongue could be milled or applied to the edges of the top. The mating groove would be milled or applied inside or outside the box. Alternatively, the tongue could be milled or applied to the box and the groove milled or applied to the edges of the lid.

If the lid needs to remain part of the box and not inadvertently slide all the way off, a stop on the lib that catches the end of the box would be applied to either the underside of the lid or on the end of the lid. A stop applied on the underside of the lid could only be used if the box is deep enough to be able to install the concealed stop. Of course, the stops would have to be applied only after the lids are in place.

The tongue and groove need not be rectangular. The tongue and groove could be mating mouldings, like a roundover for the tongue and a cove for the groove. It would require more work to get the sliding fit just right, but it could enhance the look of the project.

Without know more details regarding the design of the box and how the lid will set on the box (inset, partial overlay, full overlay, or overhanging), it is difficult to be more specific.

View brendasmith's profile


1 post in 1003 days

#3 posted 03-15-2016 07:03 AM

This chest seems to be using sliding with bearings. You can try ball bearing slider lock for this might work.

View jerryminer's profile


944 posts in 1641 days

#4 posted 03-15-2016 07:06 AM

I agree with the above. Some kind of tongue-and groove joint—maybe with an applied “tongue” on the lid and a groove milled into the front and back:

-- Jerry, making sawdust professionally since 1976

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics