LumberJocks

Wenge - toxicity

  • Advertise with us

« back to Wood & Lumber forum

Forum topic by McFly posted 03-06-2016 01:39 PM 557 views 0 times favorited 9 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View McFly's profile

McFly

188 posts in 489 days


03-06-2016 01:39 PM

Topic tags/keywords: wenge

I’ve been making cuttingboards for awhile and recently had some wenge fall into my lap. I’ve heard all sorts of opinions on wenge ranging from “it’ll kill you for looking at it sideways” to “quit being such a nancy and have at it!”.

What say the LJ’s, is this stuff really as toxic as I’ve been led to believe?


9 replies so far

View lateralus819's profile

lateralus819

2236 posts in 1351 days


#1 posted 03-06-2016 02:03 PM

I think toxicity to wood varies widely by person. I could be wrong but I’ve used all kinds of exotics and I’ve had no ill side effects. Especially wenge or bloodwood which some say can be toxic.

I use Wenge a lot. No problems so far.

Beautiful stuff. It can be finicky to work with sometimes. I usually try and snag the QS stuff. Beautiful grain. Seems squirly sometimes. High angle planes help.

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

2724 posts in 2894 days


#2 posted 03-06-2016 02:16 PM

Same here. No problems with cutting board accents in wenge. Making a cutting board out of wenge only would get pretty expensive!

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View conifur's profile

conifur

955 posts in 613 days


#3 posted 03-06-2016 02:46 PM

Wenge irritant, sensitizer, splinters go septic, nervous system effects, abdominal cramps
http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/

-- Knowledge and experience equals Wisdom, Michael Frankowski

View bondogaposis's profile

bondogaposis

4024 posts in 1812 days


#4 posted 03-06-2016 02:54 PM

I’m allergic to cocobolo, but I’ve never had a problem with wenge.

-- Bondo Gaposis

View JBrow's profile

JBrow

817 posts in 381 days


#5 posted 03-06-2016 03:11 PM

McFly,

Tropical and exotic woods tend to be more “hazardous” than other domestic woods. When I built some countertops with bloodwood, I took a few extra precautions.

These included, using dust collection on all milling operations. I used the shop vac with a HEPA filter to keep any dust that escaped the duct collector off of shop surfaces. . I wore a hat and long sleeves. I dusted myself off as best I could (including using the shop vac) before entering the house and I washed my hands and face when I was done for the day. I wore a NIOSH 95 dust mask and gloves kept the bloodwood away from my body. Of course wearing gloves during some milling operations is unsafe, so I took them off for these. When I completed the project, I emptied the dust collector bin and the shop vac to keep the bloodwood from mixing with dust over which I have less concern.

Were these precautions overkill? Probably, but I do not know. I developed no reactions to the bloodwood. This is because I am just not sensitive to bloodwood or the precautions kept me safe. Even if I am not sensitive to bloodwood, if I were to use it a lot I could develop sensitivity to it and who knows, that sensitivity could even then develop toward domestic hardwoods.

View JAAune's profile

JAAune

1637 posts in 1778 days


#6 posted 03-06-2016 07:39 PM

Wenge is listed as having splinters that go septic. I avoid using it for items that are likely to see constant handling. It doesn’t sound appropriate for cutting boards. No need to gamble with other people’s well-being.

-- See my work at http://remmertstudios.com and http://altaredesign.com

View BurlyBob's profile

BurlyBob

3659 posts in 1727 days


#7 posted 03-07-2016 02:04 AM

I made several picture frames using some purple heart moldings I got on sale. Caught a sliver of that and talk about a lingering pain. It was like having a wasp or bee sting for several days. I became much more cautious with it after that.

View McFly's profile

McFly

188 posts in 489 days


#8 posted 03-07-2016 02:12 AM

Good advice all around. Doesn’t seem like it’s a poisonous as I once thought, but definitely not “safe”

View Logboy's profile

Logboy

43 posts in 2691 days


#9 posted 03-07-2016 06:16 AM

Ive had bad luck with splinters. You have to dig them out or they will hurt for days. Its also really hard and brittle. The edges constantly break off.

-- No log is too big to saw! www.logboy.com

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com