Drill bit extension holder with sleeve- can anyone provide term?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by Chris posted 02-24-2016 11:43 AM 1008 views 0 times favorited 10 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Chris's profile


358 posts in 4085 days

02-24-2016 11:43 AM

I have this bit extension for drills that accepts hexagonal bits…the beauty of this particular piece is that it possesses a sleeve which slides up towards the point of a screw, preventing it from wobbling when starting the threads. I’m certain you may have seen them. I happen to have had this particular one for decades.

The issue: I’d love to pick another one or two up but cannot find them because I’m not certain what the correct terminology is for it. Anyone have any ideas?

I love this thing…absolutely love it. It’s awesome in so many ways. I also like it for electrical work when needing to reach inside of deeper, metallic junction boxes and running self tapping 5/16” hex head screws into trusses, etc; The sleeve slides up alongside my magnetized 5/16” bit and snugs it up, preventing it from wobbling…therefore giving me the rigidity and anti-wobble I need to start the screws. Very nice.

Looking appropriate name.


-- Chris Harrell - custom callmaker "Quacky Calls" Eastern NC.

10 replies so far

View Stevedore's profile


71 posts in 2025 days

#1 posted 02-24-2016 12:11 PM

I’ve seen them referred to as “drive guides”, although there may be other names as well. I have 2, a DeWalt & a Hitachi that came with a set of bits. I agree that they’re very useful, and in many applications, just what you need.

-- Steve, in Morris County, NJ

View ohtimberwolf's profile


799 posts in 2352 days

#2 posted 02-24-2016 12:57 PM

Chris if you find a source please post it here so others can find the tool also. larry

I did find this.

Another one

-- Just a barn cat, now gone to cat heaven.

View ChrisK's profile


1964 posts in 3081 days

#3 posted 02-24-2016 01:03 PM

View Jim Finn's profile

Jim Finn

2656 posts in 2922 days

#4 posted 02-25-2016 01:08 AM

Sheet rock screw gun, tip.

-- Website is No PHD just a DD214 and a GED

View woodbutcherbynight's profile


4562 posts in 2409 days

#5 posted 02-25-2016 02:56 AM

Maybe this one? Link

-- Live to tell the stories, they sound better that way.

View jbay's profile


2289 posts in 899 days

#6 posted 02-25-2016 03:20 AM

Irwin and Bosch both make them as well. I believe there just called drive guide bits.

View BonPacific's profile


20 posts in 855 days

#7 posted 02-25-2016 08:56 PM

This one like the same model you have. It is unusually long, never seen one longer than 4 inches. I’ve got 3-4 of the DeWalt types, and they are quite handy.

View RobS888's profile


2411 posts in 1845 days

#8 posted 02-25-2016 09:14 PM

6” one at HD

-- I always suspected many gun nuts were afraid of something, just never thought popcorn was on the list.

View ohtimberwolf's profile


799 posts in 2352 days

#9 posted 02-26-2016 01:39 AM

Most of those shown are bit holders. He is looking for something that will hold the screw straight while trying to drive the screw at a distance. The Hitachi 115003 Magnetic Driver Bit screw holder is not the same tool that he has but it functions as he wants a tool to do. The second link in my post #2 holds the screw firmly at the end of an extension by a powerful magnet.

I have ordered a two pack of the two sizes of square and the two sizes of phillips head drives as well. I had to order them at Lowes as no one around here had them and Lowes was the only one who would get them for me and not charge me shipping. Plus I get my 10% veteran discount. Here is what I ordered.
The P is for phillips and the S is for the square drives. larry

-- Just a barn cat, now gone to cat heaven.

View Chris's profile


358 posts in 4085 days

#10 posted 02-26-2016 02:38 AM

Yes, some of those mentioned are indeed just a ‘simple extension’ as Larry has highlighted. They don’t possess the sliding sleeve function. The other links point to ones that have the sliding sleeve. The weird thing is, I have looked right over these before, while in Lowes and at some hardware stores on a few occasions, because I was thinking the ones made by Dewalt were just a simple bit extension and didn’t offer the sliding function. Then again, I wasn’t looking specifically for one during those times, so I didn’t inspect more closely.

One of the links at Amazon (this Drive Guide) has the functionality but doesn’t explicitly mention it, either in the shorter or longer item description. I had to read through the reviews left to find that information. Weird that wouldn’t be mentioned, that’s the key element.

The ‘true name’ is Drive Guides…thanks ChrisK

Thanks a million to all- very helpful. Thanks gents.

-- Chris Harrell - custom callmaker "Quacky Calls" Eastern NC.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics