Help with slide locking mechanism

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by woodguy1980 posted 02-18-2016 08:32 AM 457 views 0 times favorited 1 reply Add to Favorites Watch
View woodguy1980's profile


6 posts in 1043 days

02-18-2016 08:32 AM


I’m working on a project that will have a metal rail on top of it. Attached to the rail will be a slide that moves along the rail lengthwise. I need to use a slide that slides freely to the right but will only slide left if I push in a button to disengage the locking mechanism.

Below is rough illustration. The black is the rail, the red is the contact point on the rail, the yellow is the release button that would lift the red area when pressed in, and the gray area is the housing.

Does anyone know the name for this type of slide? I’ve googled to no avail.

I’ve come across the bar clamps that have a clutch system which is similar to what I’m looking for. But ideally, I would like something that is smaller and lower profile.


1 reply so far

View HokieKen's profile


7029 posts in 1336 days

#1 posted 02-18-2016 12:25 PM

There are many ways to accomplish this. But it really depends on the size you’re looking for. The simplest way, which could probably be used at about any scale is to put a cam on the slide that will follow freely in one direction but wedge and prevent motion in the other. Similar to bar clamp clutches but much less complex.

What you have drawn, appears to be just a simple ratcheting mechanic. Here is an article Will Myers wrote for WK Fine Tools that may give you some inspiration.

-- Kenny, SW VA, Go Hokies!!!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics