What the heck is this tool actually called?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by garbonsai posted 01-14-2016 02:02 PM 1144 views 0 times favorited 11 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View garbonsai's profile


154 posts in 2193 days

01-14-2016 02:02 PM

Per the title, what is this tool actually called? One of my friends had one he picked up for $20 somewhere, and he referred to it as The Angle Shaver Thingie. I just saw this one on Craigslist, and the guy is calling it a Bench Plane, which is another name for a hand plane, near as I can tell. So what is this thing called?

Thanks in advance!

-- Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

11 replies so far

View hotbyte's profile


991 posts in 3213 days

#1 posted 01-14-2016 02:03 PM

Miter trimmer???

View paratrooper34's profile


915 posts in 3190 days

#2 posted 01-14-2016 02:05 PM

For cutting miters, frame shops use them.

-- Mike

View johnstoneb's profile


3072 posts in 2411 days

#3 posted 01-14-2016 02:08 PM

As hotbyte says it’s a shear for truing up miters usually used in frame shops. I’ll give you $25 for it.

-- Bruce, Boise, ID

View garbonsai's profile


154 posts in 2193 days

#4 posted 01-14-2016 02:12 PM

Thanks for the quick replies. I know what it’s used for — that’s why I’m looking to get my hands on one. What I don’t know is what it’s actually called.

@johnstoneb: The one I found on Craigslist, the guy is asking $120. I have no intension of paying that much, but I’d be more than happy to PM you the link…

-- Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

View garbonsai's profile


154 posts in 2193 days

#5 posted 01-14-2016 02:12 PM

And thanks @hotbyte, “miter trimmer” it is!

-- Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

View SirIrb's profile


1239 posts in 1468 days

#6 posted 01-14-2016 02:16 PM


-- Don't blame me, I voted for no one.

View liljimy7's profile


35 posts in 1273 days

#7 posted 01-14-2016 02:18 PM

Wood Trimming Machine: Miter Trimmer

-- JFS.brand (woodworker) Northville, MI

View Kazooman's profile


1268 posts in 2190 days

#8 posted 01-14-2016 02:32 PM

Yes, that is a Lion Miter Trimmer. Mine still has the original label on it proclaiming that to be the name. They were originally manufactured by the Pootatuck Corporation of Cornish, New Hampshire. There are now many knockoffs made by a variety of manufacturers and I believe that the Pootatucks have closed their shop.

If the stops are properly adjusted and with sharp blades you can achieve a perfect 45 degree miter on the stock with a surface that is as smooth as glass.

View Gene Howe's profile

Gene Howe

11149 posts in 3666 days

#9 posted 01-14-2016 02:49 PM

They are often called guillotines as well.

-- Gene 'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

View sikrap's profile


1121 posts in 3597 days

#10 posted 01-16-2016 06:06 PM

As has been mentioned, its a Miter Trimmer. If its a “Lion” brand, its worth at least $100. If its another brand, value will vary.

-- Dave, Colonie, NY

View Kazooman's profile


1268 posts in 2190 days

#11 posted 01-16-2016 09:23 PM

It looks very much like my Lion. I can’t tell from the pictures if it has the name molded into the castings. Here are some pictures for comparison.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics