Ideas for making this happen...

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodworking Skill Share forum

Forum topic by pashley posted 01-26-2010 03:45 PM 1494 views 0 times favorited 9 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View pashley's profile


1044 posts in 3744 days

01-26-2010 03:45 PM

Topic tags/keywords: inlay

I’ll be building an urn for a friend – a unity urn, which is a side-by-side model. Anyhow, the friend wants an inscription like this on the front:

My question is, how to make this happen? I can’t inlay it, it’s too small. I don’t know how to do pyrography, nor do I have the equipment. The only think I can come up with is a water slide decal. I’m just afraid that would appear kinda cheesy?

Anyone else?

-- Have a blessed day!

9 replies so far

View PurpLev's profile


8536 posts in 3675 days

#1 posted 01-26-2010 03:50 PM

I dont have experience with water decals, so would be interested to see what people WITH experience with it might say.

my initial instinct would be to burn it with a hot pen, but another alternative would be to use a FINE permanent marker

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View patron's profile


13608 posts in 3368 days

#2 posted 01-26-2010 03:53 PM

maybe one of those laser engraver guys could help you out ,
that would make it real pro .

-- david - only thru kindness can this world be whole . If we don't succeed we run the risk of failure. Dan Quayle

View jcsterling's profile


462 posts in 3612 days

#3 posted 01-26-2010 04:11 PM

I agree with David the laser engraver will do the most professional looking job. Not sure of the long term look of the water slide decal.

-- John , Central PA , on facebook:!/pages/JC-Sterling-fine-furniture/104430802928776

View Dennisgrosen's profile


10880 posts in 3142 days

#4 posted 01-26-2010 10:31 PM

as a newbee my Idea is maybee a little crasy but can´t you carve it an then lack the hole piece
and then come some black colour in to the inscription and then vibe off .so the colour stay
in the carved and not on the surface if you get my point

sorry for my spelling


View kolwdwrkr's profile


2821 posts in 3617 days

#5 posted 01-26-2010 11:17 PM

I agree with Dennis. Chip carve it.

-- ~ Inspiring those who inspire me ~

View Ger21's profile


1074 posts in 3158 days

#6 posted 01-26-2010 11:56 PM

You can also have it V carved with a cnc router, which will give a similar look to chip carving.

-- Gerry,

View 1978's profile


167 posts in 3636 days

#7 posted 01-27-2010 12:03 AM

Try kohlrosing the urn.

View a1Jim's profile


117120 posts in 3604 days

#8 posted 01-27-2010 03:44 AM

Wood burning

-- wood crafting & woodworking classes

View Mrdecal's profile


1 post in 3068 days

#9 posted 01-27-2010 04:17 PM

Water slide decals used for wood is a very good application of this type of decal. The water slide decal is only the thickness of paint once applied you can then lacquerer or varnish over the decal.

The water slide decal has been used in furniture manufacturing when a graphic is desired to decorate the furniture. This type of decal is used today in the construction of baseball bats. When the decal is applied and varnished is applied over the decal the graphics are protected from abrasion dirt and there is not a raised area where the decal is applied. Using a water slide decal to place a graphic on your project would be the best choice.

Doug Bryant

The Decal Factory - The best decals, signs, labels, posters, stickers and banners in the industry for business and hobby.
Toll Free – (800) 369-5331

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics