What's the difference between a jointer/planer and a jointer?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by tolmeda posted 01-21-2010 07:38 AM 8883 views 0 times favorited 10 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View tolmeda's profile


11 posts in 3173 days

01-21-2010 07:38 AM

Topic tags/keywords: jointer planer

I’ve got my eye on the Ridgid 6 1/8” Jointer/Planer (JP0610) at HD but I don’t understand why they give it the dual label. I read through the manual and it seems to me it functions in much the same way as every other jointer of that style. There was nothing in there that showed a planer-type configuration.

Granted, I’m a novice, but I was under the impression that a jointer made two adjoining sides meet at a 90 degree angle once you get one side flat with a planer. Would you then just keep rotating the stock until you’ve got parallel sides?

I’m a bit confused if this tool will serve both purposes in my shop.

10 replies so far

View a1Jim's profile


117063 posts in 3543 days

#1 posted 01-21-2010 08:16 AM

Some jointers do have a planner underneath so it’s a combination tool. I’m not familiar with the ridgid brands to be able to tell you for sure.
You start by jointing one face and one edge then you shave of the other side with your planner and use the edge that you jointed up against your fence on the table saw making all four side parallel,

-- wood crafting & woodworking classes

View rweitz's profile


116 posts in 3043 days

#2 posted 01-21-2010 08:37 AM

I don’t know much about the question, but there are some reviews right here on LumberJocks if you do google it you can ask thems that have the same machine!

-- You cannot build a reputation on what you are going to do. - Henry Ford

View Scott Bryan's profile

Scott Bryan

27250 posts in 3788 days

#3 posted 01-21-2010 12:59 PM

There is no difference between a jointer/planer and a jointer. Jet is the only manufacturer that I am aware of who offers combination machines. Craftsman jointers are usually labelled similar to this as well. To me it is a useless term that implies the tool can be used in both operations. But I would never attempt to try and thickness material on a jointer.

-- Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful- Joshua Marine

View PG_Zac's profile


368 posts in 3354 days

#4 posted 01-21-2010 01:24 PM

I have a Felder Jointer/Planer, although the documentation refers to it as a Thicknesser/Planer.

As Jim said, this is a combination machine that has a Jointer on top, and a Planer below where the material is fed under the same cutter head on a second table. Only a genuine double function machine should be called a Jointer/Planer or a Thicknesser/Planer.

In European terminology, what you refer to as the Jointer is the planer, and what you refer to as the Planer is the thicknesser. So on the top table you plane the wood straight on one face and one edge (jointing), then you plane the wood true and parallel down to the desired thickness (planing) between the lower table and the cutter.

Ah the wonders of different versions of English.

-- I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other.

View Dusty56's profile


11819 posts in 3654 days

#5 posted 01-21-2010 03:13 PM

In the USA , it is a jointer only. The dual term refers to …oh never mind …PG_Zac said it all : ) LOL

this is one of the JET models that actually do both processes.

-- I'm absolutely positive that I couldn't be more uncertain!

View SnowyRiver's profile


51457 posts in 3446 days

#6 posted 01-21-2010 04:08 PM

I find that sometimes its called both. A jointer basically is an edge planer. Also if you lay the board flat, providing it is narrower than the cutter head, it can be used as a planer.

-- Wayne - Plymouth MN

View tolmeda's profile


11 posts in 3173 days

#7 posted 01-21-2010 08:35 PM

Thanks for the clarification, everyone.

View PurpLev's profile


8534 posts in 3614 days

#8 posted 01-21-2010 08:41 PM

jointer/planer refers to the simple name of ‘jointer’ as it creates a flat PLANE – thus ‘planer’.

what the US is calling a planer is actually a shorted name for a thickness planer, or a thicknesser – which created a 2nd PLANE at a given THICKNESS.

jointer/planer = jointer
thickness planer = planer
combination planer/jointer = both a jointer AND a planer

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile


18247 posts in 3642 days

#9 posted 01-21-2010 09:14 PM

This sort of confuses me too:-( From looking at the pics of the actual machines, most of that they call jointer/planer are only a jointer. I suppose they are calling planning one side up to the width of the cutter planning.

-- Bob in WW ~ "some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

View JasonIndy's profile


187 posts in 3401 days

#10 posted 01-21-2010 09:58 PM

I think in the UK what we call a jointer is called a planer and what we call a planer they call a thicknesser. I had to read through a whole bunch of scientific explanations that confused me until I actually watched the two tools in use and then it made sense.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics