Porter Cable Router conversion

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by Yamamaha posted 01-13-2010 08:55 PM 1248 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Yamamaha's profile


20 posts in 3050 days

01-13-2010 08:55 PM

I just purchased a PC 7538 plunge router. It’s too late for the shoulda, woulda, coulda bought this or that one instead. Anyways, I want to turn this into a table setup.

Since this is the single speed 21,000 rpm model, I want to turn it into a cloned 7539, 5 speed model. It appears that speed controller switches don’t work with soft start motors…so I was contemplating buying all the parts which differ between the two above models. Looks like the parts total $124 fm Porter Cablle site.
Any thoughts on doing this?

Second question is in regards to llifts. Choices are kind of limited for plunge routers of this size….either the Router Raizer or the Unilift by Woodpecker’s. Anyone know of others which work on the large PC plunge’s?

2 replies so far

View RedShirt013's profile


219 posts in 3656 days

#1 posted 01-14-2010 12:25 AM

I’m not an expert in this area, but have you looked into rewiring and bypassing the “soft start” circuitboard inside the router, then just use a speed controller switch like you originally intended?

-- Ed

View Dusty56's profile


11819 posts in 3682 days

#2 posted 01-14-2010 04:22 AM

I read about the Triton routers on this site all of the time . Would it be any less expensive to buy the correct router rather than the router lift and retro-fitting all the pieces ?

-- I'm absolutely positive that I couldn't be more uncertain!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics