Are straight edged, mortise and dado bits all different names for the same thing?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by kanihoncho posted 01-08-2010 01:16 AM 1504 views 0 times favorited 1 reply Add to Favorites Watch
View kanihoncho's profile


56 posts in 3068 days

01-08-2010 01:16 AM

I need to buy a bit for routing the sides of a boxed broom closet that is made from 3/4” birch plywood. I see many names, are they all the same? I’m looking at MLCS for a rabbeting set and wood also like to purchase a dado-purposed bit set from the same. Recommendations? Thanks.

1 reply so far

View davidpettinger's profile


661 posts in 3196 days

#1 posted 01-08-2010 02:46 AM

I own both types. And no they are not the same. A rabbeting bit is desiigned for just making rabbets. Generally it is a hockey puck shaped bit with a bearing on top. The top mounted bearing can be changed to regulate the depth of the rabbet.
Now a dado bit can do more than a rabbeting bit. You can cut both rabbets and dados, just a matter of adjusting your fence. Remember, the fence doesn’t need to be parallel to the front edge of your table, but adjusted to the correct amount of bit exposure to ensure the proper cut. Dado bits also come in plywood widths also, meaning that they are slightly undersized to insure that you get a proper fit.

-- Methods are many,Principles are few.Methods change often,Principles never do.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics