Repurposed workbench help

  • Advertise with us

« back to Focus on the Workspace forum

Forum topic by Jason Tetterton posted 12-09-2015 02:56 AM 905 views 0 times favorited 3 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Jason Tetterton's profile

Jason Tetterton

54 posts in 3045 days

12-09-2015 02:56 AM

Hi all! I picked up a 54×64x2 1/4 inch maple “butcher block” work surface on craigslist the other day. It’s very similar to the one pictured here:

Except mine has seen many hours of use. I would like to rip this thing in half and re-purpose it into two workbench tops 26×64. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with dismantling one of these? It appears there are three threaded rods that run through the piece. If you look at the link below, my top has the same three washers and lugs you see pictured. I’m afraid to start taking it all apart and ruining the piece. I’ve found a guy locally that will run it through his drum sander once I’ve removed the metal and sliced it up.

Any tips or advice? I would post a picture of mine, but it’s still in the back of the truck because it weighs about 350-400 pounds and it’s dark out.



-- Jason, Central Virginia

3 replies so far

View jerryminer's profile


926 posts in 1464 days

#1 posted 12-09-2015 04:25 AM

IMHO, if you want to cut it, you need to remove any steel bars, so try unscrewing. If that fails, I would consider grinding or cutting off the end of the bar. You may have to lose a bit of wood at the edge to get the steel out.

-- Jerry, making sawdust professionally since 1976

View rwe2156's profile


2958 posts in 1503 days

#2 posted 12-09-2015 11:13 AM

Here’s an idea: take the nuts off, take 1/2 the strips off, apply glue and put it all back together and tighten the screws. Apply a few clamps in between.

When dry pull threaded rods out and do the same for the other side.
After its dry, laminate the two halves together.
Cover screw holes with an applied edge or plug them.

-- Everything is a prototype thats why its one of a kind!!

View Jason Tetterton's profile

Jason Tetterton

54 posts in 3045 days

#3 posted 12-10-2015 02:33 AM

I was able to take a closer look at this today, and luckily, the threaded rods came out very easily once the rubber grommets were removed from each end. It looks like the threaded rods were just holding both halves together and it separated very nicely. Now to find someone who can surface these things for me.

Thanks again for the replies!!!

-- Jason, Central Virginia

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics