|Forum topic by startingfromscratch||posted 01-04-2010 08:51 PM||1395 views||0 times favorited||12 replies|
01-04-2010 08:51 PM
Okay, so Santa brought me a Veritas Mark II honing guide and I now have no excuse for not cracking the seal on learning to sharpen. I plan on picking up 2 marble tiles (12×12x3/8), silicon carbide sandpaper in 80, 100, 150, 180, 220, 400, 600, 1200, and 2000 grits, 3m #77 spray adhesive, baby oil, acetone and a razor holder for clean up. I am also a weekend warrior that is just starting out. I’ve read Rod P.s site and the posts here on the method and have some specific questions, if you have the time:
1) I have no power grinding capabilities and can’t spend any more loot on tools for a while. I was handed a half dozen old powerkraft butt chisels that were sharpened without a guide and bevel is convex. I think they are worth learning on before I save up for a set of narex. Hollow grinding is out of the question, but can’t I just start on the rough grits and elbow grease a new 25 deg flat bevel on them?
2) How much time do I spend on honing the primary bevel before switching to the micro-bevel (which the mark II makes pretty easy)? Should I go all the way through 2000 on the primary (switching between lapping and honing)?
3) Where does the baby oil go? All over the quarter sheet strip? A could drops on the far end of the strip to “dip” the blade into?
4) For weekend warrioring, won’t working up to 2000 get me a reasonably sharp edge? Can I put off futzing with diamond paste, green honing compound, leather strop, yada yada or is there something additional that I should definitely add into the initial sharpening set up?
4) Unrelated to the scarry method, I was also handed down a combination bench oil stone (no idea what grit on either side, its dark on one side and reddish on the other and labelled with “bay state product”) that is pretty far from flat…any specific directions on how to flatten that stone out? Do I just rub it in a figure eight on a cinder block? Should I lubricate it with something and if so, what?
Sorry for the deluge, but I’m flying blind here…