Threaded Screw Inserts

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by Dale J Struhar Sr posted 01-01-2010 06:33 PM 2251 views 0 times favorited 12 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Dale J Struhar Sr's profile

Dale J Struhar Sr

382 posts in 1978 days

01-01-2010 06:33 PM

Topic tags/keywords: question

Does anyone know of a company that makes taps for threaded steel inserts?

Thanks in advance.

-- Dale, Ohio

12 replies so far

View PurpLev's profile


8476 posts in 2496 days

#1 posted 01-01-2010 06:38 PM

I’m curious – why would you need that? I mean – those inserts are self drilling into WOOD. and as such wouldn’t have a comparable tap. if you’d want to tap any material to take the insert – why not just forgo the insert all together and just tap the original screw/bolt size? the whole Idea of the insert is to avoid tapping.

unless I’m not seeing something here.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View WoodSparky's profile


200 posts in 1950 days

#2 posted 01-01-2010 06:49 PM

Let’s assume you were looking for threaded inserts. Both Wood Craft and Lee Valley should have what you are looking for.

-- So Many tools, So little time

View Dale J Struhar Sr's profile

Dale J Struhar Sr

382 posts in 1978 days

#3 posted 01-01-2010 06:50 PM

I’m putting them into hard woods (pin boxes) and have to drill the hole oversize than what is reccommended. For a 1/2 inch OD insert they want a 3/8 hole to put the insert in. No way can it be threaded into such a hole in hard woods. I have had to drill the hole to 29/64 to get the insert in.

With the insert I use it the adjust the the tightness of the top and bottom of the pin boxes I’m making.

-- Dale, Ohio

View SteveMI's profile


881 posts in 2142 days

#4 posted 01-01-2010 07:04 PM

In 3/8” hardwood, not for a box, I have used internally threaded tubing and epoxied them in the wood. Hole is only minimally larger than the bolt diameter. For odd diameter sizes, I have bought tubing in the hobby section of hardware store and threaded them internally myself. This way you only use standard taps for the fastener size you are using.

Depending how anxious you are about epoxy, file notches (teeth) in the bottom of the tube to catch the wood when you tap it in.

I also took a bolt of same thread, ground off the head to a point, partially put into the threaded tube and then used it to transfer the position to surface I needed the thru hole in. (Use brass to reduce the amount of grinding effort)


View Dusty56's profile


11735 posts in 2536 days

#5 posted 01-01-2010 07:05 PM

If you can’t find what you need , perhaps you could visit your local Tech school and create a project for a student : ) Or if you have a local machine shop , pay them a visit.

-- I'm absolutely positive that I couldn't be more uncertain!

View lwllms's profile


552 posts in 2130 days

#6 posted 01-01-2010 07:05 PM


If you’re using the brass inserts that take a 1/4” X 20 screw, you can get a 7/16” X 16 tap from industrial supply houses. I know MSC and Enco both stock them. The 7/16 is slightly undersized but the thread pitch is right. These will greatly reduce the damage from putting the inserts in but the inserts still fit very snuggly. Enco is the least expensive and their catalog number for the tap is 327-2374. Being a non-standard size the tap is expensive for a tap at $13.95 plus shipping. I always tap the holes before installing inserts.

View Gary's profile


7836 posts in 2281 days

#7 posted 01-01-2010 07:07 PM

Hey Dale, is this for those puzzle boxes?

-- Gary, DeKalb Texas only 4 miles from the mill

View a1Jim's profile


113168 posts in 2425 days

#8 posted 01-01-2010 07:10 PM

How about an auto parts store.

-- Custom furniture

View Jack Barnhill's profile

Jack Barnhill

366 posts in 2214 days

#9 posted 01-01-2010 07:18 PM

I’m not sure which insert has the 1/2” OD but here is the pilot hole information that was on the back of a package of threaded inserts from Rockler.

Rockler Info for Threaded Inserts

Unless you’re using the 8-32 insert, it looks like they recommend a larger pilot hole for hardwood.

-- Best regards, Jack -- I may not be good, but I'm slow --

View rustfever's profile


651 posts in 2158 days

#10 posted 01-01-2010 07:21 PM

Grainger and Fastenal are both good sources.

-- Rustfever, Central California

View lilredweldingrod's profile


2495 posts in 1955 days

#11 posted 01-02-2010 05:40 AM

I’m with a1jim. Any auto parts store will have Heli-coil kits. They have the right size drill, thread insert and installation tool. I’ve used them for years in all kinds of metals, don’t know why it would not work in hard wood. Check out McFeely’s.


View Dale J Struhar Sr's profile

Dale J Struhar Sr

382 posts in 1978 days

#12 posted 01-02-2010 06:35 AM

The 1/4/ -20 steel is 1/2 OD. I never thought of Heli-coils. I’ll be checking them out first thing in the morning. I think they will accomplish what I’m trying to do. Thanks

Some how I knew I would find a solution to my problem by searching such great minds and experiance.

Gary they are for the puzzle boxes. With them I can adjust the tolerance between the top and bottom of the box.
Once I set the clearance a touch of super glue holds it in place.

Thanks LJ’s

-- Dale, Ohio

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics