What is it's name?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Designing Woodworking Projects forum

Forum topic by bhack posted 12-17-2009 06:31 AM 913 views 0 times favorited 3 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View bhack's profile


349 posts in 3717 days

12-17-2009 06:31 AM

Topic tags/keywords: question

I am looking for the name of the material that is waterproof and used for making signs, etc. I have seen signs and “yard art” made from it but have not been able to find the name to shop for. Anyone have any ideas as to the name? I think it come in 4’ x 8’ sheets and is usually white in color and is man made.

Thanks and Merry Christmas

-- Bill - If I knew GRANDKIDS were so much fun I would have had them first.

3 replies so far

View zlatanv's profile


691 posts in 3231 days

#1 posted 12-17-2009 07:26 AM

Norm used some sheet goods on his show, NYW, which was called MDO, medium density overlay, he said they made signs out of it and was waterproof, he used it on painted outdoor projects.

-- Z, Rockwall, TX

View JAGWAH's profile


929 posts in 3081 days

#2 posted 12-17-2009 07:43 AM

You can buy MDO good 1 side or g2s meaning the smooth papered side is on 1 or both for signage. But it is brown. I’ve used this for columns on a residence and frames for window well covers. It holds up very well outside.

-- ~Just A Guy With A Hammer~

View Ger21's profile


1074 posts in 3128 days

#3 posted 12-17-2009 06:04 PM

You can get pre primed MDO that is an off white or very light gray color. YOU Can also get PVC plastic in sheets. But as was mentioned, you’re probably looking for Sintra.

-- Gerry,

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics