Can't find the right bit.

  • Advertise with us

« back to Joinery forum

Forum topic by FollowsClosely posted 11-01-2015 07:24 PM 578 views 0 times favorited 11 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View FollowsClosely's profile


2 posts in 405 days

11-01-2015 07:24 PM

I cant find a bit that will closely match the above.any guidence is appreciated.

11 replies so far

View daddywoofdawg's profile


1010 posts in 1041 days

#1 posted 11-01-2015 07:27 PM

I would think it’s done in steps,i.e one level then lowered to do the next level.

View ElChe's profile


630 posts in 803 days

#2 posted 11-01-2015 11:29 PM

I’ve not seen that profile with a router bit. My guess would be someone used a custom moulding profile? Perhaps as daddywoof suggested you could get close with two passes withma straight raised panel bit by lowering the big and moving fence in on second pass?

-- Tom - Measure twice cut once. Then measure again. Curse. Fudge.

View TheFridge's profile


5765 posts in 952 days

#3 posted 11-01-2015 11:37 PM

Rail and stile bit. You could make something work but it’s gonna be a process.

-- Shooting down the walls of heartache. Bang bang. I am. The warrior.

View Tennessee's profile


2410 posts in 1981 days

#4 posted 11-02-2015 12:37 AM

Never seen the profile, but my guess is it is a custom made bit and the factory that made it ran thousands of feet of that edging through moulding machines.
Like above, you could do it in steps, but it will be a hassle.

-- Paul, Tennessee,

View Gentile's profile


262 posts in 1285 days

#5 posted 11-02-2015 01:02 AM

Run the boards through a table saw several times?

-- "I cut it twice and it's still too short"

View bearkatwood's profile


1213 posts in 478 days

#6 posted 11-02-2015 01:09 AM

View BurlyBob's profile


3695 posts in 1732 days

#7 posted 11-02-2015 01:12 AM

Does that have any sort of bevel to it. If not, you could do that with a rabbeting bit on a router table. There are rabbeting bits with different bearings that will give you different depths of cut, 3/8”, 1/2” etc for the width.

View jerryminer's profile


528 posts in 908 days

#8 posted 11-02-2015 01:16 AM

As has been said, that profile is most likely a custom profile used by the original manufacturer.

To match it, it might be easiest to make the frame with a square edge, then mill a panel mold that resembles the profile and miter it into the frame-and-panel assembly.

View FollowsClosely's profile


2 posts in 405 days

#9 posted 11-02-2015 04:06 AM

First of all, thanks for the assistance. Yes there is a bevel, 10° or so. I am hoping my wife decides against me trying to match the existing.

I am building doors for the cabinet below.

View BurlyBob's profile


3695 posts in 1732 days

#10 posted 11-02-2015 05:54 AM

I think your wise trying to find a different profile. It may not be the perfect match but I imagine the cost/convenience will out way the cost.

View FrankRGinn's profile


3 posts in 403 days

#11 posted 11-02-2015 09:02 AM

I think you should go to any workshop and ask for help. You can try many router bits for it.

-- Frank Ginn

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics