LumberJocks

Contact Cement Fumes

  • Advertise with us

« back to Safety in the Woodworking Shop forum

Forum topic by SundayST posted 10-31-2015 03:36 PM 586 views 0 times favorited 4 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View SundayST's profile

SundayST

2 posts in 406 days


10-31-2015 03:36 PM

I am hoping someone can help me with this. I saw some previous posts about contact cement safety, and someone even mentioned that they use it with felt (putting felt in drawers). I helped make a mask for my son’s Halloween costume, using DAP contact cement to glue the felt together with other materials. (It covered over plastic and duct tape if that matters.)

It has been finished since Tuesday evening, and it’d now Friday evening, and the mask STILL smells icky. I don’t want to send him out breathing glue fumes, of course, and I was thinking the cement would be dry in three DAYS. Is there anything I can do to dry it faster? Would a hair dryer help or hurt (or start a fire?!?)

Is the residue smell harmful? Or should all the solvents/dangerous things have evaporated by now?

I’m a complete novice at crafts.

Thank you for ANY help.


4 replies so far

View Fred Hargis's profile

Fred Hargis

3950 posts in 1961 days


#1 posted 10-31-2015 03:49 PM

This is strictly a guess, and there will be more experienced answers…but I’m thinking the porous nature of the materials is allowing the off gassing to be so noticeable. I also think it would be a bad thing to breathe the fumes. I am fairly certain some moving air would speed the process up, but whether it would be fast enough for Halloween is questionable. Just a fan blowing on it might help.

-- Our village hasn't lost it's idiot, he was elected to congress.

View WoodNSawdust's profile

WoodNSawdust

1417 posts in 644 days


#2 posted 10-31-2015 03:54 PM

I would not breath the fumes if I could avoid them.

Like Fred suggested try getting some air movement (fan). Also try warming the mask with a heating pad, heat lamp, etc.

-- "I love it when a plan comes together" John "Hannibal" Smith

View SundayST's profile

SundayST

2 posts in 406 days


#3 posted 10-31-2015 04:34 PM

Thank you! For the quick replies. We are going to go with Plan B (an entirely different costume) and save the mask for the school’s book character costume contest, which will be a few weeks away and plenty of time to clear the fumes. When I got some heat and air on it (blow dryer), it started really smelling…which a family member that used to use this on the job said is good in terms of curing the mask, because it means the heat is releasing the chemicals…but bad from a wearing the mask perspecitve because apparently there’s still lots of solvent in there or off-gas. :(

Thank you for the tips and helping make our Halloween choice safe. I appreciate it.

View mahdee's profile

mahdee

3555 posts in 1235 days


#4 posted 10-31-2015 05:05 PM

With contact cement both side should be tacky dry before application. The fumes are pretty nasty and do cause disorientation sort of high.

-- earthartandfoods.com

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com