I purchased the King model KC-390FX 15” spiral head planer about 7 years ago and have bee very pleased with it’s performance. I decided to do an overall cleaning and cutter rotation before putting it to bed for the winter (my wife and I spend the winter in AZ), and decided to check the parallels between the worktable and the cutterhead. To my surprise (and dismay), there was about 60/1000” difference between the in-feed side and the out-feed side.
I referred to the manual for the method of adjustment and proceeded. What happened over the next two days was an absolute nightmare. Loosening the idler sprocket should have facilitated the easy removal of the chain from the corner sprockets allowing me to adjust those sprockets to bring the table back to parallel however there was not enough clearance between the sprocket teeth and the inside of the base casting to allow removal of the chain. The only way to get the chain off the sprocket was to remove the sprocket itself from the lead screw. To do this, you have to lift the planer off the stand about 1 1/2 inches. To do this you have to remove the 4 bolts (one on each corner), as well as loosen the motor hold down screws, remove the belts as well as the belt guard, and remove the stop/start switch box from the planer. I wound up cutting 4 hardwood blocks of equal length, placing them on each corner of the worktable and then snugging the table up until all four blocks were tight. I then used four clamps to hold the worktable and cutterhead tight together while I replaced the chain and snugged up the idler sprocket. At the end of the day I reduced the error down to 6/1000 and I was happy with that. I am writing this so that anybody else out there who may have the same planer will have a heads-up if they start into this process. I wrote King to tell them what had happened and to express my disappointment in their quality control.