Need Help with Table Top Wood ID

  • Advertise with us

« back to Wood & Lumber forum

Forum topic by JAbshire posted 10-27-2015 03:26 AM 819 views 0 times favorited 16 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View JAbshire's profile


2 posts in 936 days

10-27-2015 03:26 AM

I just picked up this table from a friend and I’d like to refinish the top. Before I do that though I’d like some of your help to figure out what kind of wood the top of the table is made of. Thanks in advance!

16 replies so far

View TheFridge's profile


9435 posts in 1479 days

#1 posted 10-27-2015 03:31 AM

Red oak

-- Shooting down the walls of heartache. Bang bang. I am. The warrior.

View mahdee's profile


3882 posts in 1760 days

#2 posted 10-27-2015 10:52 AM

2” red oak flooring.


View CharleyL's profile


222 posts in 3357 days

#3 posted 10-27-2015 11:54 AM

I agree. It’s red oak flooring.

What is the flooring attached to? Can we see a photo of the under side?


View SirIrb's profile


1239 posts in 1223 days

#4 posted 10-27-2015 12:11 PM

NO, I think its red oak.

-- Don't blame me, I voted for no one.

View bearkatwood's profile


1572 posts in 1004 days

#5 posted 10-27-2015 12:52 PM

Roble rojo, Quercus rubra, that is the ring porous wood known as red oak my friend.

-- Brian Noel

View Kyle Nelson's profile

Kyle Nelson

52 posts in 1307 days

#6 posted 10-27-2015 01:43 PM

In my humble opinion, it’s red oak. Has that been mentioned?

View firefighterontheside's profile


18142 posts in 1849 days

#7 posted 10-27-2015 01:44 PM

You’re all wrong, it’s red oak.

-- Bill M. "People change, walnut doesn't" by Gene.

View JAbshire's profile


2 posts in 936 days

#8 posted 10-30-2015 11:01 PM

Thanks all for the input.

@CharleyL—here is a picture of the underside of the table. What do you think?

All—perhaps this isn’t the proper place for this question, but can anyone tell me what technique was used to create the table top? It looks like there are small wedges or something inserted at the ends of a few boards (see attached picture). At least one of the wedges needs repair so I’ll work on that as soon as I find out what technique to research.

View Aj2's profile


1381 posts in 1791 days

#9 posted 10-30-2015 11:23 PM

I don’t think it’s Red Oak it looks more like. Red oak to me. Are you taking about the corner blocks?

-- Aj

View ChefHDAN's profile


1062 posts in 2842 days

#10 posted 10-31-2015 02:40 AM

I’ do believe its red oak and the design style MUST be HGTV DIY done in a day style, not sure if it should be refinished or lightly scarred with fire & napalm

-- I've decided 1 mistake is really 2 opportunities to learn.. learn how to fix it... and learn how to not repeat it

View BurlyBob's profile


5486 posts in 2258 days

#11 posted 10-31-2015 03:15 AM

I’m gonna agree with Bill M. Your all incorrect, it’s red oak.

View jerryminer's profile


923 posts in 1434 days

#12 posted 10-31-2015 09:03 PM

... can anyone tell me what technique was used to create the table top? It looks like there are small wedges or something inserted at the ends of a few boards – JAbshire

I’m guessing the maker edge-glued a bunch of short strips together and ended up with some gaps at the ends, then filled the gaps with shims/wedges. You can do the same to repair missing or damaged wedges. Maybe chisel out a clean space for a new wedge, or just make a shim/wedge that fits the empty space.

-- Jerry, making sawdust professionally since 1976

View BuzzCut's profile


17 posts in 936 days

#13 posted 11-01-2015 04:17 PM

Red oak actually looks a bit more like, uh, oak than that piece which looks exactly like red oak.


View WDHLT15's profile


1738 posts in 2469 days

#14 posted 11-03-2015 12:42 PM

I would say that it is red oak, but I won’t because I don’t want everyone jumping on me…..

-- Danny Located in Perry, GA. Forester. Wood-Mizer LT40HD35 Sawmill. Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln.

View HokieKen's profile (online now)


4947 posts in 1131 days

#15 posted 11-03-2015 01:02 PM

I’d say red oak. Did anyone mention that?

Somebody had a ton of off-cuts to get rid of and edge glued them up. Wood movement likely left some gaps and, like jerryminer said, they used wedges to fill the end gaps. You can chisel the damaged ones out and make some new ones from… yep you guessed it… red oak ;) Just put glue on the new wedges and drive them in. Once the glue sets, use a flush cut saw to trim them to the table top.

-- Kenny, SW VA, Go Hokies!!!

showing 1 through 15 of 16 replies

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics