What is it? Who made it?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by BillSNY posted 10-19-2015 12:48 AM 739 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View BillSNY's profile


8 posts in 1021 days

10-19-2015 12:48 AM

I bought this from feebay. It was listed as “INLAY TOOL PLANE ROUTER GROOVER LUTHIER & WOODCRAFT”. There isn’t any manufacturer or model number that I can see. Anyone know for sure what it is or who made it? It appears to be very precisely made and machined so I don’t think it was just made in someones garage. Any info would be appreciated.

Bill in NY

2 replies so far

View Nicky's profile


695 posts in 4087 days

#1 posted 10-19-2015 02:54 AM

I’m guessing it’s a tool that’s used to cut the binding channel for guitars. I’ve seen a few videos where the builder called the tool a scraper.

I don’t know who the manufacturer may be.

-- Nicky

View John Hough's profile

John Hough

7 posts in 1497 days

#2 posted 10-19-2015 02:57 AM

They look like parts from a machinist made height gauge – you’re missing the rule or scale that would have been inserted into the 3” piece plus the parts that connect the scale to the scribe points (which you have). Do an image search in google for “machinist height gauge” and you’ll find lots of examples.

-- John in Southcentral PA

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics