Many questions so I hope you will bear with me. I am looking at building a workbench and I see so many different types that ideas run in circles. I have a couple ideas to throw out and hopefully I can get some answers.
1) Width. How wide should it be? I see 4 ft wide, I see much less. Even worked on a 5 ft square bench in High School that was great What are the advantages and disadvantages?
2) tail vise versus a “regular” wood working vise on the corner?
3) Dog designs. Round or square?
4) Tray in middle, side etc? What is it for? Do I need one?
5) what about an adjustable height? My Shopsmith adjusts height by raising the table height. I’d like to have a bench that could also be used as an outfeed, but I’d also need to be able to raise and lower it to match the table saw. I also think a much lower bench would be nice when working on larger pieces. I have considered incorporating some form of lift device, either mount a scissor lift from an industrial cart, or maybe even a motorcycle jack somehow underneath the bench top. I don’t think I’d need more than 5 inches of lift though if I just want to match the table saw’s adjustabilities. Thoughts?
6) Open versus closed with storage underneath? The lift would drive this, but just wondering if anyone has any ideas on this.