how can I mount my art on wood?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Designing Woodworking Projects forum

Forum topic by arttart posted 12-04-2009 08:37 AM 3249 views 0 times favorited 6 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View arttart's profile


4 posts in 3065 days

12-04-2009 08:37 AM

Topic tags/keywords: art wall hanging varnish mount tip finishing arts and crafts rustic

Hey there,

I draw very colorful, geometrical designs that i just love, but having them taped on my walls is a bit tacky. I’m trying to figure out if I could somehow mount like 3 of them on a narrow piece of dark (stained?) wood and then paint over with some kind of shlack or something similar. I have no experience working with wood and not sure what the shiny top coats would do to my drawings. Any advice? Anybody? Thanks in advance all ideas are welcomed.


-- Suzy, San Diego

6 replies so far

View scrappy's profile


3506 posts in 3400 days

#1 posted 12-04-2009 08:54 AM

You could allways frame them behind glass, just like a picture.


-- Scrap Wood's the best...the projects are smaller, and so is the mess!

View arttart's profile


4 posts in 3065 days

#2 posted 12-04-2009 09:00 AM

Yeah, I thought of that and that is my other option I suppose, but my drawings are all round shaped (like my icon) and the gal at the frame shop said the mats only come in squares, which I thought was odd… Thanks Scrappy!

But…! I could have a black background to fill in the square mat. that could work.

-- Suzy, San Diego

View Julian's profile


880 posts in 3495 days

#3 posted 12-04-2009 03:07 PM

The mats come square, but there is circle cutters for mats. I am surprised she didn’t explain that to you. Besides, you don’t have to have a mat in front of the picture, do you?

-- Julian, Park Forest, IL

View CharlieM1958's profile


16274 posts in 4188 days

#4 posted 12-04-2009 04:03 PM

Hi, Suzy. First of all, I love your nickname. Very clever.

I don’t know how old you are, but back in the 70’s, there was a big fad called “decoupage” which basically involved mounting paper objects (art prints, etc.) on wood and covering them with a thick clear coating, just like you are describing. If you google that term, you’ll find there is still quite a bit of info out there on how to do it.

Good luck!

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

View arttart's profile


4 posts in 3065 days

#5 posted 12-04-2009 04:44 PM

Thanks Julian, I knew there had to be round cut mats!

And Thank you Charlie, I just came up with that name yesterday and was quite pleased with it if I do say so myself, hee hee… And YES! I was a young kid in the 70’s and I believe Decoupage is exactly what I must be thinking of. Thank you so much!

I really like this website, such nice people.

-- Suzy, San Diego

View patron's profile


13600 posts in 3311 days

#6 posted 12-04-2009 05:05 PM

suzy ,

you as the artist ,
can do anything you want !

conventional or not .

there is lots of room .

welcome to LJ’s .

-- david - only thru kindness can this world be whole . If we don't succeed we run the risk of failure. Dan Quayle

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics