Many years ago my younger Brother and myself decided we needed to test our survival skills.
We had the chassis of an old Vauxhall sedan and thought it would be an idea to put a bigger engine in it. And so the process began.
The motor we used came from a utility that I rolled over and wrecked. (Imagine that)
The only place we could fit this motor was in the centre of the chassis, and that created a few problems for us. Firstly there was not enough room for a transmission, but we had to have a clutch. To solve this dilemma we cut the front of the gearbox off with a hacksaw, this had to happen because we needed a bearing mount for the back end of the input shaft. No problem, then we had to deal with a 12inch space between the back of the gear housing and the diff. We had a professional do that job for us.
After mounting the radiator in front of the engine, there was almost no room for seats and controls. Again, no problem, we mounted the seats between the front wheels, welded a piece of steel tube across the front of the chassis rails and attached the pedals and steering wheel to that.
Of course the engine JUST HAD to be modified so we went to a wrecker yard and found 2 Carby’s that were the same, nice big ones. We constructed an inlet manifold from a piece of 2inch galvanised pipe and a few bits of flat iron. The exhaust had to sound good so we made 6 individual tubes, all different lengths and applied a flare on the end of each one.
DID THAT SUCKER GO, OMG, and both of us are still alive.
The first photo shows me at 19.
Hope you enjoy this.
-- Bob, Western Australia, The Sun came up this morning, what a great start to the day. Now it's up to me to make it even better. I've cut this piece of wood 4 times and it's still too damn short.