What kind of table saw insert is this??

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by Northerner posted 11-30-2009 05:37 PM 1828 views 0 times favorited 5 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Northerner's profile


88 posts in 3184 days

11-30-2009 05:37 PM

i was watching the New Yankee Workshop a few weeks ago and Norm
was using some kind of two part insert on his table saw.

i think the insert itself was metal and on the bottom side it had a wide
dovetail channel that would accept a piece of wood or MDF or whatever
that was also dovetailed that slid right down that channel and could be
replaced any time it wore out or you needed to switch to a different profile
or something.

i would like to know the brand of that insert and where to get one so any
help you can give will be greatly appreciated.


-- I love the smell of sawdust in the morning!

5 replies so far

View PurpLev's profile


8536 posts in 3672 days

#1 posted 11-30-2009 05:51 PM

It’s a zero clearance insert. I think it used to be bade by Leecraft but I personally haven’t seen it offered for sale in a WHILE. the idea is that you only need 1 inserts that fits the opening of your table saw, and you have replacement fillers which are square and more easily reproduced when needed.

edit: sorry for the Leecraft reference. I think it’s made be Betterley. and it’s called the TRU-CUT. looks like this:

here is a link:

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View GaryK's profile


10262 posts in 4012 days

#2 posted 11-30-2009 05:56 PM

I remember the exact one you were talking about when they were for sale way back when.
It’s kind of like that link above, but the replaceable wood part was slid into a dovetailed slot in the insert.
I remember trying to find one a couple of years ago. No luck.

You can do like this guy and make one: link

-- Gary - Never pass up the opportunity to make a mistake look like you planned it that way - Tyler, TX

View Northerner's profile


88 posts in 3184 days

#3 posted 11-30-2009 06:39 PM

thanks guys for the info and its to bad if the exact one isnt made anymore.

GaryK’s link is the closest to what i was talking about, just slide out the old
insert if its bad and slide in a new one. im not even sure if there were any
hold down screws but you probably wouldnt need anything since it couldnt
slide out once the insert was seated in the table.

i think its a really good idea and im surprised it isnt made anymore?

-- I love the smell of sawdust in the morning!

View Planeman's profile


97 posts in 3601 days

#4 posted 12-01-2009 01:57 AM

Well just make one like it out of wood! Its a simple thing.


-- Always remember half of the people in this country are below average.

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

3809 posts in 4045 days

#5 posted 12-01-2009 02:03 AM

Mine are all currently HDPE or Phenolic scraps that I have accumulated over the years.
If you have a decent router table and a bandsaw you can whip them out pretty fast.


-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics