My Dust Collection Setup

  • Advertise with us

« back to Focus on the Workspace forum

Forum topic by Bill7255 posted 09-11-2015 01:49 PM 1671 views 0 times favorited 3 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Bill7255's profile


427 posts in 2309 days

09-11-2015 01:49 PM

Topic tags/keywords: bandsaw

I have just recently finished setting up my DC system. I have been a hose dragger for about 15+ years and decided with my new shop I would install a system.
My shop is a 30’ X 50’ pole barn, however I also use it for my lawnmower, Gator, and garden tools. That took a 12’ X 16’ footprint and I put in a half bath, another 6’ X 8’ footprint. I lost space, but did not want to maintain another out building. I did everything the least expensive way I could, but wanted a decent system. I am very happy with the results. I used 6” 30ga duct and fittings. I previously did testing and found by adding a plywood ring midway of the pipe would eliminate any chance of collapse in the duct and none of the fittings showed any sign of deformation in my testing.
I built my system using my Jet 1900 3hp four bag DC. I had also purchases a EBay cyclone. I also purchased two Wynn filters, but I ended up venting outside.

My drum sander, router table and jointer/planner I move to an open area and hook up to a 6” flex hose drop. Just don’t have the room to make everything stationary. All of the other tools are connected and blast gates are installed.

Since I had so much 4” hose from my hose dragging days I used some for a 20’ floor sweep for the lathes It also reaches the table saw area. I put a piece of 6” PVC for sanding dust for the large lathe and the small lathe has a Big Gulp.

The results! I have planned and joined about 7 eight foot by 7” hard maple boards and have run the drum sander about 6 hours making some cutting boards. The first picture is the second barrel, it has one joined/planned board chips on the bottom and the top half was from the drum sander. The second picture shows the outside exhaust area. Just a little light dust there. I put a finger mark on the trailer to try and show the extent. I am very satisfied with the results.

Total cost for everything was around $1400. I had $700 from previous (includes $300 for used Jet 1900) and spent another $700. This doesn’t include $400 I spent for 2 Wynn filters I now need to sell and will loose about $250 on that, bringing the total to $1650.

I still ill have work to do such as building a miter saw table and enlarging ports where possible. Conclusion, yes a definite performance increase using 6” duct. IMO the EBay cyclone performs very well, better than I anticipated.

-- Bill R

3 replies so far

View Fred Hargis's profile

Fred Hargis

4999 posts in 2517 days

#1 posted 09-11-2015 02:17 PM

Well done, looks really good. I see you were able to find actual wye’s for your ducting. Most importantly, you’re happy with it!

-- Our village hasn't lost it's idiot, he was elected to congress.

View Notw's profile


649 posts in 1778 days

#2 posted 09-11-2015 03:27 PM

Very nicely done, I have been toying with the idea of venting outside, my system goes through a Thein baffle on a 32 gal trash can. Looks like the impact would be minimal so maybe my neighbors wouldn’t notice

View Bill7255's profile


427 posts in 2309 days

#3 posted 09-11-2015 05:08 PM

Thanks Fred. I had to reverse the crimps on the wyes.

NotW. I used the Thien before I set this up. It would work for outside and captured chips very well. However it was only about 75% efficient using the drum sander. No where near as well as the cyclone I would say is 98% effective. But that is fine dust bypassing the Thien and may just blow away.

-- Bill R

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics