Trying to identify a Router Edge

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by AtTheHelm posted 09-04-2015 02:53 AM 739 views 0 times favorited 6 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View AtTheHelm's profile


2 posts in 1021 days

09-04-2015 02:53 AM


Looking for some help… Have to match the edge in the image attached, and unsure what you would call the bit or if it would be 2 separate bits to achieve it. Just the outer edge is what I’m talking about. Any help would be great. First post, so let me know if I’m not giving enough detail and or approaching looking for help incorrectly.


6 replies so far

View Richard H's profile

Richard H

489 posts in 1705 days

#1 posted 09-04-2015 03:15 AM

Whiteside has a online catalog of bits where they show full size profile views. I can’t tell from the picture for sure but it looks like a pretty standard profile to me. Maybe the wavy edge bit on the below page?

View AtTheHelm's profile


2 posts in 1021 days

#2 posted 09-04-2015 03:28 AM

Richard, Thanks for the site link.

I’m new to the varying types of profiles… but the one that I’ve pictured above is probably twice as wide as it is deep. The “Wavy Edge” on that link is very deep but not very wide. Now that being said, maybe there are varying measurements you can get a wavy edge in that would then replicate it (again, my newness to all of this may be the deficit). But the one pictured would be too deep and not wide enough. And what are the terms you’d use to define the depth vs. width etc. as you try and describe/match something like this?

Thanks again for the help.

View bruc101's profile


1200 posts in 3567 days

#3 posted 09-04-2015 04:48 AM

We do solid surface countertops and we use different size cutters and drop edge build ups to get the size profile needed.
That profile can be called wavy edge and ogee depending on who makes the cutter and what you want to call it and what they want to call it and the size of it. I think maybe a large ogee cutter would give it to you. If you have a small one run and edge on a piece of scrap and see if it looks like it. It actually looks more ogee to me without the bead.

-- Bruce Free Plans

View pjones46's profile


1001 posts in 2668 days

#4 posted 09-04-2015 05:27 AM

Looks like a CNC simulated-raised-panel…router-bit….#2481 from used as an edge treatment.

-- Respectfully, Paul

View jerryminer's profile


928 posts in 1466 days

#5 posted 09-04-2015 06:05 AM

Also similar to Whiteside’s “plunge ogee” in the “Groove Profiling” category (from link above)

-- Jerry, making sawdust professionally since 1976

View cabmaker's profile


1735 posts in 2834 days

#6 posted 09-05-2015 12:49 AM

cove and bead….not to be construed as bead and cove.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics