Picked up a drill press

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by BoomWood posted 09-03-2015 10:36 PM 926 views 0 times favorited 10 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View BoomWood's profile


52 posts in 1032 days

09-03-2015 10:36 PM

Hi all,
I just picked up an old drill press for 10 bucks.. My question is… it didn’t come with the key to change bits. I’ve never used a drill press so I’m not sure if it needs one or if there’s another way?

10 replies so far

View WhyMe's profile


1025 posts in 1588 days

#1 posted 09-03-2015 11:00 PM

You need a key for that chuck. You can buy one for $5.

View nkawtg's profile


277 posts in 1279 days

#2 posted 09-03-2015 11:04 PM

Chuck keys should be readily available at most hardware stores that sell tools.
Good find for 10 bucks.

View BurlyBob's profile (online now)


5555 posts in 2293 days

#3 posted 09-03-2015 11:45 PM

It’s kinda like some old hand tools I’ve gotten. Didn’t think I’d ever need one, till I’ve had it a while and now wonder how I ever got along with out it.

View Nubsnstubs's profile


1299 posts in 1758 days

#4 posted 09-04-2015 01:02 AM

Look closely at the chuck for writing that will possibly start with a “K”, followed by a number. That indicates the key size, which you definitely need…......... Jerry (in Tucson)

-- Jerry (in Tucson)

View jonah's profile


1727 posts in 3326 days

#5 posted 09-04-2015 02:17 AM

I thought most modern drill presses used the standard sized chuck key? Hard to tell from the sideways, low resolution picture, but it looks like a fairly generic ‘90s taiwanese tool.

View HokieKen's profile


5275 posts in 1166 days

#6 posted 09-04-2015 05:39 PM

No, sorry there’s no way you can use that drill press. Just ship it to me and I’ll give you your $10 back:) Seriously though, that’s a great find for $10. I don’t see any plastic on it. Don’t let that “made in Taiwan” label scare you. There were some fantastic machines made in Taiwan. Just ask a Powermatic owner.

You can pick up a chuck key anywhere that sells tools. There are a few different sizes but if I remember correctly the size of the hole in the chuck is different for the different keys. Find something that fits in that hole and find the key that’s the same size. Or, if you have a HF near you, they have a 4 way key that has 4 different sizes.

BTW, it looks like what you have is a keyless chuck chucked up in your keyed chuck. So you can use it as-is for smaller drill bits. If that’s what it is, you can just grab those 2 knurled rings and twist. Assuming it’s not rusted solid…

-- Kenny, SW VA, Go Hokies!!!

View BoomWood's profile


52 posts in 1032 days

#7 posted 09-04-2015 06:09 PM

So I found a video of how to open and close the chuck without the key! I’ve done a few things with it already and it seems to work great.

View MrUnix's profile


6768 posts in 2226 days

#8 posted 09-04-2015 06:20 PM

Opening and closing the chuck without a key is simple. Getting enough force (closing) on a bit so it doesn’t spin when drilling is the challenge (particularly on larger bits). That is one reason you rarely see the keyless chucks on drill presses.


-- Brad in FL - In Dog I trust... everything else is questionable

View Woodknack's profile (online now)


11818 posts in 2408 days

#9 posted 09-04-2015 10:06 PM

A horizontal drill press, nice find.

-- Rick M,

View canadianchips's profile


2602 posts in 3025 days

#10 posted 09-05-2015 12:35 AM

Looks like it has a quick change bit holder in the chuck. Look for spade bits and metal bits with octagon end. You wont need key when changing bits.

-- "My mission in life - make everyone smile !"

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics