LumberJocks

Glue spot

  • Advertise with us

« back to Finishing forum

Forum topic by moke posted 08-31-2015 04:49 PM 828 views 0 times favorited 13 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View moke's profile

moke

862 posts in 2244 days


08-31-2015 04:49 PM

Well, here I am again asking my friends on how to fix one of my screw ups…....
THIS TIME, I finished a project ( to include the poly) and then was asked to add a piece, so I glued it on….trying to be ever so careful with the clamps, but I got a small smear of glue in two places. It is Titebond III. Is there anything to take that off with? Or am I sanding and recoating with poly?

Thanks in advance for all the help…
Mike


13 replies so far

View DrDirt's profile

DrDirt

4169 posts in 3210 days


#1 posted 08-31-2015 04:56 PM

Surprised that TB stuck to the poly surface. Would have expected it to be able to just be ‘flaked/peeled’ with a razor blade. then maybe need to re-coat, because the surface luster would not be the same.

-- 'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' ~George Carlin

View mahdee's profile

mahdee

3555 posts in 1235 days


#2 posted 08-31-2015 05:11 PM

If the specks are fully dried, they should pop off as DrDirt mentioned. You can try a wet/hot rag over it for several minutes and see if it come loose.

-- earthartandfoods.com

View moke's profile

moke

862 posts in 2244 days


#3 posted 08-31-2015 05:16 PM

Do you think it a bad idea to try a heat gun on the wet rag….if I am careful?

View pintodeluxe's profile

pintodeluxe

4859 posts in 2281 days


#4 posted 08-31-2015 07:18 PM

I would try a new plastic putty knife first. One with a blade that bevels down to a fine edge.
Otherwise a razor blade holder, like the ones commonly sold for cleaning glass windows, is another good choice.

-- Willie, Washington "If You Choose Not To Decide, You Still Have Made a Choice" - Rush

View Dallas's profile

Dallas

3599 posts in 1955 days


#5 posted 08-31-2015 07:39 PM

Hunh? Card scraper would be the vehicle of choice. If you go too deep add a another layer of poly.

Depending on what kind of poly you used, you may not want to use a wet rag or a heatgun.

Good Luck.

This is just a personal opinion and may not be correct or reflect the views of the majority.
In any case, using this method is your problem and not mine.

Have fun!

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

2679 posts in 2652 days


#6 posted 08-31-2015 08:42 PM

Maybe slip a razor blade edge under the glue blob and pry. Hopefully it would avoid damaging the existing surface. Or just scrape it off, lightly sand the area, and wipe on a little more poly there while trying to feather in the sides.

-- Allen, Colorado

View mahdee's profile

mahdee

3555 posts in 1235 days


#7 posted 08-31-2015 09:02 PM

All of my kitchen counters and table is covered with a good dose of poly originally built and ployed in 1987. Even the counter surrounding the kitchen sink which is constantly exposed to water (we cook our meals) haven’t need to be refinished. Also, the counters next to the stove show no damage even though hot plates and things are put on them. I don’t think the heat is as necessary as the moisture. So, if you go the hot rag deal, just put it there for 20-30 minutes and see if it loosen up the dabs.

-- earthartandfoods.com

View Jim Finn's profile

Jim Finn

2417 posts in 2390 days


#8 posted 09-01-2015 02:50 AM

I have no suggestion on how to fix your problem but I suggest a way to avoid this issue in the future. I have found that Titebond liquid hide glue, when covered with a clear finish does not show up like other Titebond products do.

-- "You may have your PHD but I have my GED and my DD 214"

View moke's profile

moke

862 posts in 2244 days


#9 posted 09-01-2015 05:04 PM

Thank you all…..I will try the water and see what happens. I some how thought someone would say,” oh I just use XXXX and it vanishes”....
Thanks again…
Mike

View daddywoofdawg's profile

daddywoofdawg

1010 posts in 1043 days


#10 posted 09-01-2015 06:03 PM

goo gone may work

View moke's profile

moke

862 posts in 2244 days


#11 posted 09-09-2015 04:52 PM

Just a little follow up for anyone experiencing the same issue (or dumb mistake)
I took some glue and smeared it on some finished cut offs and unsuccessfully tried the following things…
1. Hot water
2. Hot water with heat gun
3. goo gone
4. goof off
5. DNA
6. Throwing it
7. applying some Mineral spirits while wearing one yellow sock and 2 tie dyed shirts
8. Throwing it while swearing

What does work is 400 wet sanding with a block and an Earlex 5500 filled with water borne Poly

Thanks for everyone’s suggestion, but I guess I knew this was probably the answer when I started….
Mike

View mahdee's profile

mahdee

3555 posts in 1235 days


#12 posted 09-09-2015 05:59 PM

ha ha.. Glad you got it fixed. If #7 didn’t work, it tells you how good of a glue it is.

-- earthartandfoods.com

View Richard's profile

Richard

1907 posts in 2158 days


#13 posted 09-09-2015 06:22 PM

For me Method #8 works best because I end up breaking the project and have to completely rebuild it. :)

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com