|Forum topic by mikeyp||posted 08-17-2015 02:42 PM||754 views||0 times favorited||7 replies|
08-17-2015 02:42 PM
I know this is a lot to ask right off the bat but I’ve only done a couple projects before but nothing so “small” (I’ve done a deck, pergola, and a set of bookshelves) so I’m kind of nervous about the fine woodworking portion of this job.
I want to make my wife a jewelry box and I have a list of questions or concerns or advise I’m hoping you all can help with.
I’m very new to this kind of work and the lingo so keep that in mind, haha
My initial dimensions I’m thinking about be 8” tall plus the lid. and 13 1/2” side to side. I saw one online that has 2 3/8” drawers (3×2 3/8” plus wood guides at 3/8” plus bottom of box- if you don’t think that would work, what would be a feasible size be?
- It was mentioned yesterday that dovetails probably aren’t necessary. Do you think just routing the edge out and gluing them would work, like a half lap joint?
- What size wood would you recommend? A lot of places online I’m seeing 3/4” but that seems to thick to me (not that I’m a pro). I was thinking 1/2” for the sides and back, 1/4” for the drawers (I’m planning on doing one drawer on the bottom and two smaller drawers in the middle…then a permanent shelf above that). Then one the front covers (whatever its called that is the decorative piece on the drawers) I would use 1/2”....and the top is up in the air. I’m thinking about using 1” and taking a band saw to it to make a curve if I’m going that route. I’d LIKE to do inlays on the side but I’m really not sure about that yet. What do you think??
- Type of wood? I honestly have no clue about this. I don’t know my woods at all. Do you have any recommendations? I was planning on making it a dark walnut type finish with a lighter oak inlay (if I do them) but I don’t know what I should use for it. I’m limited where I live to pretty much a lowes and depot so I don’t have much to choose from
- I can’t find any advise online for the drawer guides. I have the router where I can make a dadoo but how do I make it? Somewhere online make a dadoo on both the drawer and the side of the box and glued a wooden piece in there…looking like a track….I’m really stuck on this part though.
- Do you recommend any in lay kits or have any advise on using them? I’ve never done an inlay and never done anything with the router besides a couple round edges
- when constructing the drawers, do you recommend the same joint as the box?
- Are inlay bands tougher to do than a shaped inlay (heart, square, etc)?
- how do I route small/thin pieces with a hand router? I don’t want it to get away from me but have no where to hold the piece in place.
Thanks again for all of your help in advance