That term "live edge." I'm confused

  • Advertise with us

« back to Wood & Lumber forum

Forum topic by Bernspen posted 08-10-2015 12:22 AM 796 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Bernspen's profile


31 posts in 1300 days

08-10-2015 12:22 AM

Topic tags/keywords: live edge

The slabs I normally see that are called “live edge” sometimes still have the actual bark, while other items marked “live edge” have had the actual bark removed, although the edge where the bark was has seen no further milling. Are there two terms for these two conditions, or are we stuck with using one term for two conditions?

-- We have met the enemy, and he is us.

2 replies so far

View JoeinGa's profile


7736 posts in 2029 days

#1 posted 08-10-2015 12:33 AM

I think people use the term for both situations. Pieces that still have the bark on it, and other times use it for an edge that no longer has the bark, but they’ve done little more than clean it up.

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

View WDHLT15's profile


1747 posts in 2498 days

#2 posted 08-10-2015 01:09 AM

Live edge refers to the board having the natural shape of the tree trunk on both sides of the board. It can be with bark on or bark off.

-- Danny Located in Perry, GA. Forester. Wood-Mizer LT40HD35 Sawmill. Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics