Trying to make a table - stupid question!!

  • Advertise with us

« back to Designing Woodworking Projects forum

Forum topic by Chantelle127 posted 08-07-2015 08:04 PM 1028 views 0 times favorited 8 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Chantelle127's profile


2 posts in 1196 days

08-07-2015 08:04 PM

Topic tags/keywords: question tip resource rustic arts and crafts


So, I’m not exactly a “lumberjock” by any means but I found a table that I’m pretty sure I can replicate. However, I’m illiterate when it comes to what things are actually called in the woodworking world so my google searches for materials are pretty horrific. I’m looking for legs for my table but they aren’t normal legs…they are about 12” tall give or take and 7” in diameter at their largest point but they have like and hourglass shape to them (ish) as if they were put in one of those machines that spins and chiseled away at until they got a rounded/beveled/PEAR shape!

Anyone know what I’m talking about?? do they exist pre-made? and do they have a name? Can I throw 4 in a shopping cart and take them home with me without having to whittle some of my own??


8 replies so far

View Nobodyhome's profile


15 posts in 1808 days

#1 posted 08-07-2015 08:11 PM

Try Osborne WoodProducts. They seem to offer a variety of turned products. You’re looking for turned table legs, I assume. Good luck!

-- John

View bondogaposis's profile


5049 posts in 2524 days

#2 posted 08-07-2015 09:21 PM

Yes, you are talking about turned legs. BTW, 12” tall by 7” diameter is going to look incredibly stumpy. Here is a place that sells table legs. For something in the size that you want you may have to turn them yourself.

-- Bondo Gaposis

View JoeinGa's profile


7739 posts in 2179 days

#3 posted 08-07-2015 09:36 PM

Quick search of and I spotted these.


-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

View jerryminer's profile


944 posts in 1614 days

#4 posted 08-07-2015 11:49 PM

12” tall and 7” diameter and “pear-shaped” is not going to be a stock item anywhere. You will need to either acquire the tools and skills, or find someone who will do “custom turnings”—-those people exist.

Try asking around at local cabinet shops or lumber yards.

-- Jerry, making sawdust professionally since 1976

View rwe2156's profile


3134 posts in 1653 days

#5 posted 08-08-2015 12:08 AM

Perhaps you should consider some other shape that will fall in the domain of your ww’ing skills?

-- Everything is a prototype thats why its one of a kind!!

View Chantelle127's profile


2 posts in 1196 days

#6 posted 08-08-2015 02:26 AM

Thanks guys! Definitely “turned table legs” that I’m looking for…and I know they will be stumpy…but its kinda what I’m going for. I’m probably going to have to get them custom made. My fiancĂ© is a carpenter so he could definitely make the entire thing if we had the tools to do the turning but for the sake of one project its not worth it…and I’d rather scour the web for something pre-made that’s at least close to what i’m looking for. Aside from the legs…the rest of the table is pretty much ledger board and rustic looking so it would pretty much a piece of cake besides these damn legs! lol. I’m just trying to get everything together so he doesn’t have a lot of work to do because he pretty much works 7 days a week.
Thanks again for all the input! I appreciate it! =)

View Woodknack's profile


12398 posts in 2552 days

#7 posted 08-08-2015 06:46 AM

I think you are looking for bun feet

-- Rick M,

View helluvawreck's profile


32087 posts in 3039 days

#8 posted 08-08-2015 02:11 PM

I know that you say you want turned table legs. However, another option would be to use legs with a square cross section. You can make these with very little effort at a nominal cost. You would be surprised at how nice a square leg can look if it has flutes running the full length on two sides. You can put the flutes in with a router. You could save some money and learn a lot on top of it. Just a thought.

here's a square leg—- here's another

However, just imagine a leg that is square from top to bottom but you just put three or four flutes on two sides. You could use stop flutes which are nicer, or you could just run the flutes all the way through which would be a little easier. Just a thought; another alternative.

helluvawreck aka Charles

-- helluvawreck aka Charles,

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics