Joining a panel perpendicular to face frame

  • Advertise with us

« back to Joinery forum

Forum topic by jgoeden posted 08-03-2015 08:22 PM 742 views 0 times favorited 4 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View jgoeden's profile


23 posts in 1798 days

08-03-2015 08:22 PM

Hopefully I can ask this right. Looking for figure out a good joint that’s strong that I can glue a panel (bottom of a cabinet) to the face frame. I have a picture of my design that has the joint I”m talking about in question. Basically the panel is parallel to the ground and the face frame piece is vertical. How do you join them together? Just glue? Dowels, biscuits, modified M&T???


-- Never use a Lancelot woodcarver on an angle grinder. Pictures upon request.

4 replies so far

View Kazooman's profile


932 posts in 1856 days

#1 posted 08-03-2015 08:26 PM

Panel rests in a rabbet cut in the frame member.

View REO's profile


928 posts in 1978 days

#2 posted 08-04-2015 12:16 AM

Ditto kazoo

View canadianchips's profile


2600 posts in 2901 days

#3 posted 08-04-2015 01:44 AM

Some people would use pocket screws from underside.

-- "My mission in life - make everyone smile !"

View AlaskaGuy's profile


3912 posts in 2213 days

#4 posted 08-04-2015 03:00 AM

I built something very similar to what you’re building.

First I built the carcase and put the face on it.

Then I built the frame and panel with the legs on it.

Then I use screws (not drywall screws) and screwed through the case work into the leg.

It’s been sitting in my house for the last 5 years and hasn’t fallen apart yet.

-- Alaskan's for Global warming!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics