2 sided tape

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodworking Skill Share forum

Forum topic by eddy posted 10-14-2009 05:26 PM 1635 views 0 times favorited 17 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View eddy's profile


939 posts in 3602 days

10-14-2009 05:26 PM

Topic tags/keywords: question

i have been using 2 sided tape for lots of items in the shop for a long time i had 3 rolls of the stuff. i ran out last week and have been looking for more all i can find is real thick stuff that will not work for my purposes
i was sure i got this stuff at lowe’s/home depot but i can not find it short of ordering it on line
where do you get it ?

-- self proclaimed copycat

17 replies so far

View CharlieM1958's profile


16281 posts in 4456 days

#1 posted 10-14-2009 05:28 PM

I always order mine online… I’ve never been able to find it locally in the New Orleans area.

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

View gerrym526's profile


275 posts in 4046 days

#2 posted 10-14-2009 05:31 PM

Check Rocklers or Woodcraft, they usually carry it.

-- Gerry

View sry's profile


147 posts in 3845 days

#3 posted 10-14-2009 05:43 PM

I’ve used three types:
-The thick mega-holding-power stuff from Rockler
-Scotch double sided tape (comes in a yellow dispenser, I think I got it at Target)
-Carpet tape from home depot (it’s in the carpet section, not with the rest of the tapes in the paint section)

View a1Jim's profile


117417 posts in 3815 days

#4 posted 10-14-2009 05:45 PM

I find the strongest to be turners tape

-- wood crafting & woodworking classes

View stefang's profile


16209 posts in 3572 days

#5 posted 10-14-2009 08:42 PM

I only use carpet tape, but I’ve never heard of turner’s tape. I don’t even know if they have here in Norway. A dumb question, but how is it used Jim and who makes it?

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View CharlieM1958's profile


16281 posts in 4456 days

#6 posted 10-14-2009 08:50 PM

Mike, I think they are pretty much the same except that turner’s tape tends to hold a little better (at least in theory).

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

View Rick  Dennington's profile

Rick Dennington

6349 posts in 3432 days

#7 posted 10-14-2009 09:27 PM

I was like eddy on the tape. I ran out of the tape I like(woodworkers, and ordered a roll of turners tape from Rocklers( I think 1”x ?) It’s not in their catalog—you have to ask for it. Anyway- just wanted to say I HATE THAT CRAP!!!!!! I built a jig for tapering legs, used some to hold the stop block and backer to keep the leg tapered before I drilled the holes so I could use it for other legs. Tried to take it off, and it almost tore the plywood up trying to pry it loose. It’s WAY TOO STICKY and gummy with all the threads in it. I s.c’d that crap, and swore never to buy another roll. And it was brand new!!! Don’t buy it—it’s crap.

-- " At my age, happy hour is a crap and a nap".....!!

View stefang's profile


16209 posts in 3572 days

#8 posted 10-14-2009 09:31 PM

Thanks Charlie. Your answer makes me feel better.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View Pete_Jud's profile


424 posts in 3990 days

#9 posted 10-14-2009 09:41 PM

I use golf grip tape, can’t remember where on line I got it but it was a lot cheaper than rockler.

-- Life is to short to own an ugly boat.

View NBeener's profile


4816 posts in 3411 days

#10 posted 10-15-2009 01:49 AM

+1 on the Big Box Home Store carpet tape. Had pretty good luck. Always there. Sticky, yet comes off cleanly. Relatively cheap.

-- -- Neil

View papadan's profile


3584 posts in 3606 days

#11 posted 10-15-2009 02:10 AM

I use turners tape from Woodcraft. 2 sizes to choose from and it holds great. It is easy to seperate the pieces when you want and it removes without any residue. No sanding or scaping needed.

View 45acpbuilder's profile


49 posts in 3450 days

#12 posted 10-15-2009 11:35 AM

I use 3M 9576 tape. It’s thin, the adhesive rolls off with your thumb and it holds very well. You can get it relatively inexpensively in 1/2, 1 and 2 inch widths. I use 1/2” almost exclusively and get it from

-- M1911BLDR

View Chiefk's profile


163 posts in 4009 days

#13 posted 10-15-2009 03:52 PM

I second the golf grip tape. It can be bought on line or in most golf stores. It comes in different widths as well. It has excellent holding power. pkennedy

-- P Kennedy Crossville, TN

View eddy's profile


939 posts in 3602 days

#14 posted 10-16-2009 02:12 PM

thanks all i will try home depot Monday. i went to Lowe’s wed ck-ed carpet area all they had was some really thick stuff i have plenty of ideas now
again thanks

-- self proclaimed copycat

View SteveMI's profile


1128 posts in 3532 days

#15 posted 10-16-2009 02:33 PM

I use the rockler turner tape, but be careful not to use too much or you will destroy your work getting it apart.

showing 1 through 15 of 17 replies

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics