Finished Craftsman project

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by Octavius posted 09-28-2009 01:52 AM 1022 views 0 times favorited 5 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Octavius's profile


60 posts in 3200 days

09-28-2009 01:52 AM

Well here’s the finished project. The cast iron top is not as nice as I would have liked, but hey.


You might not be able to see it but the electrical plug is missing the top (ground) plug. What would be a good fix? The connections inside the switch box are kind of unusual (to me at least) so I couldn’t easily just swap in an extension cord.

The platform came with worn castors – the front ones are cool – you step on a lever and move the whuzzit to raise/lower the wheel – they work fine. The back ones are a pain – you kind of have to get down on your hands and knees then raise one end with a crow bar and bang on the wheel until it moves along this “L” shaped channel. What am I missing?


5 replies so far

View okwoodshop's profile


448 posts in 3202 days

#1 posted 09-28-2009 02:19 AM

I think I would find someone to help replace that cord. It is an accident waiting to happen. Plus youwill probably need a longer one anyway. As light as that saw is put it on some furniture sliders and dont even use the castors. the top looks great, youwill want to make some zero clearance inserts and start building. MY 2Cents.

View a1Jim's profile


117120 posts in 3604 days

#2 posted 09-28-2009 02:20 AM

It came out great.

-- wood crafting & woodworking classes

View Bothus's profile


441 posts in 3203 days

#3 posted 09-28-2009 03:58 AM

That top does look great. Good job. What did you use on it?

If it were me I would go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a replacement plug. Okay, if it were ME I’d go out to the garage and spend 30 minutes looking for the one I know I have out there and THEN I would go to HD.

But seriously, replace it. Replacing the plug is relatively simple. Here’s a link to help out:,,1576708,00.html

Take care and be safe.


-- Jerry Boshear, Professional Kitchen Designer, amature woodworker.

View jim1953's profile


2735 posts in 3869 days

#4 posted 09-28-2009 04:18 AM

Turned Out Great

-- Jim, Kentucky

View Octavius's profile


60 posts in 3200 days

#5 posted 09-28-2009 04:42 AM

Duane – thanks for the hint on the sliders. Yeah, I’ll be making a zero clearance insert.

Jim, thanks for compliment – the saw was a mess cosmetically. I was lucky that there was nothing functionally wrong – the biggest problem was the arbor was basically froze on the shaft. Took me a whole day (!) to free it up. Assembled, it does not pass the 4 nickels test (like some Unisaw owners gloat about, ha!) but it is nice and quiet and doesn’t vibrate all that much. I’ll be getting the steel pulleys and belt from on-line industries when funds are available.

Bothus, many thanks for the tip – I didn’t even know you can buy replacement plugs!! I’ll be down the Borg tomorow! I used a razor blade and then citric acid followed by rubbing compound. Didn’t do much. I then got mad and used a wire brush in a drill. Then car wax. The sides, at least are gleaming!

Jim1953, thanks! Can you see how pleased (and tired) I was when I got it home. Had to disassemble it in the guys driveway to get it into the trunk of the Camry – ha!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics