|Forum topic by RobinDobbie||posted 06-07-2015 06:33 PM||758 views||0 times favorited||6 replies|
06-07-2015 06:33 PM
Saw the Cylinder Mill, got excited about how freakin’ simple it looked, and immediately decided to build my own out of 2×4s and random hardware. Turns out, it’s not as simple as it looks. The Cylinder Mill is actually fairly well made, and what I have is a pile of failure. I’m determined to make this work, however!
To get this to work(at all, much less “well”) I need to make at least a couple of changes. I need a handle so I can turn it manually. I also need to remove the coarse threads on the opposite end so that the “tailstock” doesn’t force itself out of the end of the log, since I can’t find a hanger bolt with left-handed threads.
To make this work more accurately I need to change the method of holding the jig to the unistrut rails. The washers I bought are far too flimsy. They simply flex too much when I tighten the jig down, throwing the bushings out of alignment. Also, if I continue with a threaded power source, I need to find a more practical way to accurately drill into a log(while keeping the power hole in line with the “tailstock”). As it is, I remove the shafts from both ends and drill into the log through the bushings. This would work except that it’s a pain in the rear due to the drill chuck wreaking havoc on the threads of the relatively soft rods. Getting those nuts removed is a real chore. Also, because I have to use a 5/16” bit to make a hole for a 3/8” coarse thread(in a 3/8” bushing), perfect alignment isn’t possible.
Another accuracy problem is the fact that the power is coming from a threaded rod. Even if the threaded rod was perfect, adding the hangerbolt at the end with a coupling nut is just asking for problems. Also, oak does not a good bushing make, even if I had a perfectly sized drill bit for the threaded rod. I actually improved slightly on the first bushings I made. The first ones were simply a 3/8 hole drilled through the oak. Problem with that is 3/8 rod is not 3/8ths. I improved those bushing by drilling 5/16s, then used the 3/8 rod with jam nuts to slowly make the bushing bigger by stripping out the 5/16” hole 1/4” at a time. I’d screw the rod in about 1/4” at a time and once the nuts hit, I would keep going and blow out the threads. This made the hole only slightly larger than the 3/8 rod. Still, not the best way to make a hole.
So, I have some improvements in mind, but I’m open to any and all suggestions!