Question - Advise Please

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodworking Skill Share forum

Forum topic by Dalette posted 09-10-2009 09:58 PM 942 views 0 times favorited 3 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Dalette's profile


5 posts in 3253 days

09-10-2009 09:58 PM

Topic tags/keywords: spoon bowl hand carve

Hi, I’m fairly new, live in oregon and I have a question, well two maybe :)

I am teaching myself hand carving, starting with spoons.
I went through the bottom of my spoon, what is the best way to gauge depth?
I want to hand carve a bowl where should I start? outside… center?

Thanks in advance to any help or advice

3 replies so far

View reggiek's profile


2240 posts in 3236 days

#1 posted 09-10-2009 10:08 PM

I’m not much of a carver…but I use a pair of calipers to guage thickness and depth…you can find ones that give you a read out on a small lcd screen…or ones that have a guage printed on them….all you have to do is know how thick the wood starts at…once you read the thickness you are at now with the calipers…you can calculate how much depth you have removed…...there are several sources for inexpensive calipers (any woodworking shop and most hardware or home improvement stores have them)....or you can make simple ones from a pair of tongs or tweezers…and use a ruler to get the readings…

As for bowls…its really a matter of personal preference where you start. I usually drill a hole with a forstner head bit (you can make a big hole with them like 2 1/4” or so)...I adjust the drill so it goes down only to where I will be carving too (you can use calipers here to guage thickness)...that way I have an easy way to see when I should stop removing waste from the bottom….sort of its own depth guage

Just my .02 cents…

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile


18247 posts in 3641 days

#2 posted 09-11-2009 07:26 AM

Haven’t done spoons, but I’d use a caliper; one of those double ended ones that show you the thickness as you move about. They look like 2 “S”s that are laid on top one another and reversed nad hinged in the middle.

One bowls, wood augers, forstner bits, chisels. Anything that gets rid of excess wood!!

-- Bob in WW ~ "some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

View Dalette's profile


5 posts in 3253 days

#3 posted 09-14-2009 09:30 PM

Thank you reggiek and TopamaxSurvivor I will definately look for some calipers. Now why didn’t I think of that!!!! I appreciate your time in answering.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics