Shadowed Inlay

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodworking Skill Share forum

Forum topic by Walnut_Weasel posted 09-10-2009 06:57 PM 1300 views 2 times favorited 5 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Walnut_Weasel's profile


360 posts in 3400 days

09-10-2009 06:57 PM

I have run across a project or two in books and online where complex inlays on a piece of furniture have “shadowed” edges. I believe this is accomplished by lightly burning the edges of the inlay pieces. My question to you is what is this technique called? And also can anyone recommend some places that a person can learn about this?

-- James -

5 replies so far

View CharlieM1958's profile


16278 posts in 4396 days

#1 posted 09-10-2009 07:06 PM

This is frequently done with a technique called “sand shading”. Here is a link to a how-to:

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

View WibblyPig's profile


172 posts in 3452 days

#2 posted 09-11-2009 12:29 AM

Here are a few more links:

Here’s a tray I did

One piece of advice – shade the piece then let it sit for a day or 2. The heat dries out and shrinks the wood so it needs some time to re-hydrate and bounce back.

-- Steve, Webster Groves, MO "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."

View a1Jim's profile


117283 posts in 3755 days

#3 posted 09-11-2009 12:41 AM

who am I to compete with links ?

-- wood crafting & woodworking classes

View teenagewoodworker's profile


2727 posts in 3946 days

#4 posted 09-11-2009 02:14 AM

yep… sand shading. its all been covered above

View Walnut_Weasel's profile


360 posts in 3400 days

#5 posted 09-11-2009 03:23 PM

Looks like exactly what I need. Thanks for the great info!

-- James -

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics