Looking to identify antique leg style

  • Advertise with us

« back to Coffee Lounge forum

Forum topic by Triman posted 09-09-2009 05:25 PM 5661 views 0 times favorited 14 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Triman's profile


50 posts in 3548 days

09-09-2009 05:25 PM


I was wondering if someone out there can identify the name and style of this antique dining table leg?


-- Bruce, San Jose, Ca

14 replies so far

View Don Newton's profile

Don Newton

714 posts in 3585 days

#1 posted 09-09-2009 06:50 PM


-- Don, Pittsburgh

View dhg's profile


197 posts in 3678 days

#2 posted 09-09-2009 11:12 PM

Custom for sure!

-- Talent on Loan from God - Rush Limbaugh

View oakdust's profile


177 posts in 3781 days

#3 posted 09-10-2009 12:38 AM

I agree custom, do you need to replace one or just trying to figure out the style of the piece?

-- Bob, Rockford IL,

View Triman's profile


50 posts in 3548 days

#4 posted 09-10-2009 05:16 PM

It’s definitely an antique, not from the 70’s. I’m just trying to identify. I tried to find an example online, but could never find another like it. Thanks to all for the replies!

-- Bruce, San Jose, Ca

View Triman's profile


50 posts in 3548 days

#5 posted 09-10-2009 08:19 PM

If I get a definitive answer, I’ll post back here. Thanks for your help! Here’s the entire table:

-- Bruce, San Jose, Ca

View jim1953's profile


2734 posts in 3808 days

#6 posted 09-10-2009 09:08 PM

Great Lookin Table no marking on bottom of table

-- Jim, Kentucky

View Adam Weis's profile

Adam Weis

36 posts in 3986 days

#7 posted 09-11-2009 02:02 AM

that particular leg is a little unusual. The table looks almost certainly like an early twentieth century piece. maybe 1910’s It is an interesting example because it blends both victorian and arts and craft elements.

-- Adam,

View teenagewoodworker's profile


2727 posts in 3734 days

#8 posted 09-11-2009 02:30 AM

thats a weird lookin table… not in a bad way… just the style is like nothing ive ever seen before. i agree that it could be custom.

View reggiek's profile


2240 posts in 3236 days

#9 posted 09-11-2009 02:47 AM

You know…that looks very much like Irish…Killarney oak furniture. My grandfather used to make furniture in that style…very similar…take a look through the web pages based on that style….there is some that is more British with the lilttle spindles….but most, like my grandfather’s creations are beefy and heavy…he made alot of pull out leafed tables like that…I wish I had some pictures of his stuff to show….my mother had all the pictures and stuff….when she died…the house it was stored in was in a flood…and most of that stuff was turned to muck….I’ll search for some pics that I might have stored away….interesting..

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

View a1Jim's profile


117063 posts in 3543 days

#10 posted 09-11-2009 03:49 AM

It could have a number origins but I’m guessing this table had ball feet that have been cut off because of damage or some other reason perhaps owners of short stature.

-- wood crafting & woodworking classes

View huff's profile


2828 posts in 3251 days

#11 posted 09-12-2009 03:22 AM

reggiek, I think you’re getting pretty close. It looks like an old English table. That style top and legs.

-- John @

View Roger Clark aka Rex's profile

Roger Clark aka Rex

6940 posts in 3401 days

#12 posted 09-12-2009 03:43 AM

My grandmother in England had a table just like it. She was married in 1914 and had it right up until her passing in 1973. As a baby I used to hide under the table so I remember those legs well.

Hope this helps.

-- Roger-R, Republic of Texas. "Always look on the Bright Side of Life" - An eyeball to eyeball confrontation with a blind person is as complete waste of Time.

View ShopCat's profile


51 posts in 3545 days

#13 posted 10-29-2009 02:59 AM

For future reference: The Metropolitan Museum in New York has a very nice selection of American furniture. Original Stickley, Harvey Ellis, Duncan Phyff, other from over the course of the history of the U.S., plus some pretty good examples of French and British work.

This one… style wise, American or British, not French. Early 1900’s maybe? The simple form says Roycroft or Arts&Crafts influence, but not part of the core work of those styles.

-- ShopCat

View bob1638's profile


17 posts in 3114 days

#14 posted 10-30-2009 02:52 AM

This is called a “draw leaf” table…popular in the early part of the 20th century. I have refinished many of them…never found two alike in the leg style.


Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics