LumberJocks

Built in E-center, Yala #3: It is finished!

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by topcat posted 970 days ago 738 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: The Skeleton Part 3 of Built in E-center, Yala series no next part

I haven’t done one of these in a while. The build was a bit excruciating. Took 6 days, about 10-12 hrs. per day. Started on the Thurs. before Thanksgiving. That was an easy day. I just ran around getting all of the materials together and did some initial layout work and rough cut the plywood sides. These were full height and were too awkward to move around, so I used a straight edge and my new PC 8902 router to get the edges of the plywood ready for the face frames. Once the first side piece was done, it was used as a template to run a pattern bit and “joint” the other side pieces. This gave me good joining edges and all of the pieces were exactly the same, which was key to the whole project. The face frames were glued and pinned in place, or pocket screwed, depending on their location. Since it’s a paint grade project, I saw no reason to do any “fancy” joining. The same method was used on the drawers. The backs were rabbeted into the sides, glued and stapled, while the faces were pocket screwed to the sides.

From Yala, Hakim and Michelle

The shape of the top was a last minute change by me. It was going to run straight across the whole thing, but on my final visit to double check my measurements and talk about the whole thing, the customer mentioned she used a laptop with her TV. So, after wasting some time in the shop thinking about this and looking at a straight counter top, I decided to put in the bump out. This not only gave the customer a good surface for a laptop, it added a new dimension to the cabinet. I was trying to achieve a simple, fine line design and the original sraight counter top kinda fit that bill. It never sat well with me because it just seemed to make the whole thing a bit too monolithic. The bump out seemed to pull the whole thing off the wall a bit in my mind, and so it stayed.

From Yala, Hakim and Michelle

The installation went pretty well, albeit long. If I wasn’t so determined to finish, this could have been spread out over 3 days. Unfortunately, it was the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and we were supposed to go to Wisconsin on Wednesday. Well, that didn’t happen and we had a very pleasant, traffic free ride on Thursday. Even though everything went according to plan and although I still believe I am Supercarpenter, it still took 2 days :)

From Yala, Hakim and Michelle

The lights were supposed to be hooked up by an electrician, as was the TV and other stuff. Because there were some issues with the electrician’s schedule (he was leaving town for the holiday), we decided I could make the thing functional without him. The lights are plug in. I ran the 14 ga wiring inside a poplar cleat/channel in the TV space. There’s a matching cleat on the other side and it looks like part of the built in. The wiring is (ready for this) an extension cord! Since the outlet is behind the doors in the cabinet, I figured it’s the only way to get a nice “plug end” on the wiring and the wiring size matches the electrical needs of the lights. It’s a total of 90W being burned up there, so I could have gotten away with a much thinner wre, but the plug looked nice on this guage :) For the switching, I mounted an appliance type swith in the lower corner of the upper shelving. Turned out to look neat and function properly!

From Yala, Hakim and Michelle

So, they were happy and we got to go to Wisconsin with some extra money. Alls well, that ends well. I just now fully recovered and I don’t think I’ll ever push another project quite so hard. I’m getting too old for this!

-- Tom - As you get older, you learn to hide your mistakes better



3 comments so far

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

7625 posts in 2656 days


#1 posted 969 days ago

That is VERY NICE!

Great job!

It’s too bad the lights can’t go through the shelves to light-up the whole column… like glass…
... unless that is the way you planned it… for just a little indirect light.

-- Have Fun! Joe Lyddon - Alta Loma, CA USA - Home: http://www.WoodworkStuff.net ... My Small Gallery: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?ppuser=1389&cat=500"

View topcat's profile

topcat

43 posts in 1032 days


#2 posted 969 days ago

Thanks, Joe. I had thought the same thing about the glass shelves. The biggest factor affecting this build was a 5 year old boy who likes to climb. In fact, that was the customer’s biggest motivator for getting me to build this unit. So, maybe when the kid grows up a little, they can get some glass shelving, but for now, accent lighting will have to do. :)

-- Tom - As you get older, you learn to hide your mistakes better

View Vii's profile

Vii

25 posts in 1187 days


#3 posted 968 days ago

Awesome job, I like how you changed the final product to fit your customers needs, that’s the sign of some one that cares about their work as much as their customers

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase