I was able to assemble my panels and start on the interior framework this weekend.
Everything went smoothly for the most part. I did have a slight scare with my table mounted router. I had routed a 3/4” x 3/4” stopped rabbet on the legs of the dresser to accompany the interior framework. I used a 3/4 inch straight cutting bit and cut the rabbet progressively deeper over a series of 4 or 5 cuts.
So far so good.
Yesterday, I realized that the rabbet was not quite long enough. So, instead of going through the progressive cuts, I decided to make the full cut in one pass. I only needed to rout about an inch. I was making a climb cut and using push blocks. The router grabbed the leg and threw it. Thank God for the push blocks.
Next time I will make the progressive cuts!
I decided to use red oak for the non visible parts of the dresser. I had purchased some white pine for the interior framework but decided against it due to durability issues. The red oak may be overkill but my son is 6 and will probably be pretty rough with this dresser.
I attached a couple of pictures of the panels. One pic is the exterior side and one is the interior side.
Please ignore the dried glue on the interior side of the panels. Rather than sand it, I left it it since it will not be visible.
Have a good week,