LumberJocks

Ridgid toolboxes... and fixing the sadness #5: I did not fail; I learned a way that did not work

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Tony Ennis posted 07-28-2017 01:27 AM 497 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: The tray ends Part 5 of Ridgid toolboxes... and fixing the sadness series Part 6: omg handles »

Ok, actually, I did not fail. But there won’t be any beauty pageant winners here. I decided to use some heat and pein the ends of the legs to form the retainers. Even with red heat I was unable to pein the ends. Instead they were driven into the jaws of the vise.

So plan B was to flatten the ends. That was a learning experience I can tell you. Sounds easy but I got a lot of unsightly results, and a lot of variation. In the spirit of self-humiliation, here’s a picture. LJ pictures are constrained to be pretty small, but trust me, the ends are ugly. The good news is that 3 of 4 will work fine, especially after a few minutes of file work. None of this will be visible. The leftmost handle is the first one I did. Not great. The next one over is ruined; I cracked the steel leg by trying to move some material when the steel was too cold. I can make a new leg in maybe 5 minutes so it is ok.

So I will need a new leg and secure the ends, and there are 2 more hande assemblies to go – the ones that allow the entire box to be removed from the tool box. I will probably epoxy keepers (a nut or a washer) onto the ends of these legs and forego the torch abuse. Or perhaps I wll silver solder them. I would not mind trying it.

-- Tony



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com