LumberJocks

The Wine Rack

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Todd Clare updated 06-09-2010 05:56 AM 9 parts 13602 reads 34 comments total

Part 1: The horse has been led to water...

04-01-2010 10:55 PM by Todd Clare | 1 comment »

I’ve been wanting to “do” woodworking all my life. Even as a little kid, I remember watching the New Yankee Workshop and The Woodwright Shop. Something about the combination of creativity and the exact tolerances and the remarkable potential to continue to learn was a big draw for me. I’ve finally gotten to the point where I’m ready. Got a basement with a good collection of tools. I’ve read a lot and watched a lot of shows… I’ve actual...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Preliminary Design

04-08-2010 04:50 PM by Todd Clare | 10 comments »

I’ve measured the space where I’m going to put the rack, and started to want to visualize the design. I opted to fire up Google SketchUp which has been really useful for me in the past in laying things out and seeing them in 3D. This is the preliminary design only, as I still need to move things around and make sure the spacing and height and shadow lines are where I think I might want them. One of the challenges was how to make it “light” looking, and making the ...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Design finalized... off to the lumber store

04-12-2010 10:00 PM by Todd Clare | 4 comments »

After good feedback from all of you and my father-in law, the design is finalized. The rack will hold 10 bottles, and will have thru tenons where the racks meet the side assemblies. Here’s the overall view, with the thru tenons. Still trying to decide if I like them at two different sizes or if I want to shoulder the back ones so they’re uniform… comments please? The view with the legs removed to show the joinery: Off to the wood store, hopefully today....

Read this entry »


Part 4: First steps: Board prep and cutout templates

05-07-2010 05:10 PM by Todd Clare | 5 comments »

I had a lot of work, home stuff, and travel to distract me from the project recently, but after discovering my neighbor in the house behind was a woodworker and also a lumberjock, I was inspired to do some work last night. I figured out my cutting plan, and cut the board to the rough chunks that I’ll rip into individual pieces hopefully tonight or during the weekend. If my measurements are correct, I should be able to eliminate the sapwood with some creative layout of the parts. ...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Blanks for each piece are cut

05-10-2010 03:53 PM by Todd Clare | 4 comments »

I cut the boards into each of the pieces last night. Even with the sapwood on the one piece and a few defects I wanted to remove, everything fit nicely without a lot of waste. I also remembered to cut the short (bottle neck) racks a little wider so I can plow out the recesses with a forstner bit, then rip them to width after that waste wood is used to register the center of the bit. I had 5:1 odds on myself to forget that, but all is well. Ran into a little issue with my splitter on m...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Rule addenda: Measure twice, cut once... and read your handwriting

05-14-2010 05:06 PM by Todd Clare | 1 comment »

So I had to re-cut the small and large racks (the parts with the holes in them that hold the bottles). My model in SketchUp was fine and dimensioned right. I transferred the dimensions to my cut list just fine. I checked and rechecked the measurement before cutting. And the racks were each 3” short. Grrrrr. Turns out when I was checking and rechecking, I misread my own handwriting (which is, admittedly, terrible—I work on a computer and have pretty much lost the abil...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Going around in semicircles

05-17-2010 04:51 PM by Todd Clare | 6 comments »

Made some more progress on the wine rack this weekend. My goal was to complete the small racks that hold the necks of the bottles. Each required 5 semicircular holes at 1 1/2” diameter each. I was smart enough to realize that the centers of the large rack holes would be the same as the small ones, so I lined them all up against a board clamped to my bench (to keep them aligned) and marked the center lines. Lesson learned: I really need a drill press table. Up to now I’v...

Read this entry »


Part 8: A little progress, and 56' of distraction

06-02-2010 04:49 PM by Todd Clare | 1 comment »

We completed painting our bedroom, and are going to put up some crown molding, so the wine rack is waiting patiently on the workbench downstairs. I did manage to get myself a finer and smaller bandsaw blade—the one I had was used for hogging turning blanks out of damp logs, so was pretty aggressive and way too large to make the tight curves needed. Next is to use my template to flush trim them—they’re cut within about 1/16” of the line currently.

Read this entry »


Part 9: Large Racks Complete

06-09-2010 05:56 AM by Todd Clare | 2 comments »

Although still distracted by the crown molding project, as well as the “rip off the front porch and redesign it” project with the architect we hired, I have found some time to continue on the wine rack. I used the template to flush-trim the larger racks to the final shape and surface. My search for double sided tape ended up with no success (Rockler’s supplier isn’t making it, Woodcraft was out, etc. Need to start searching those internets for it), so I added the ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com