Although still distracted by the crown molding project, as well as the “rip off the front porch and redesign it” project with the architect we hired, I have found some time to continue on the wine rack.
I used the template to flush-trim the larger racks to the final shape and surface. My search for double sided tape ended up with no success (Rockler’s supplier isn’t making it, Woodcraft was out, etc. Need to start searching those internets for it), so I added the little fence overhangs you see, which I also hoped would prevent tearout on the exit of the bit from the workpiece. Then I clamped and pinched it in place. Worked fine, but my fingers were tired and the tape would definitely have made it all a lot easier.
All in all it worked well—I discovered the speed I needed to move the piece to have a smooth cut but to prevent the majority of burning. The more I did the better I got (go figure), and they all sanded out with my lathe-turned-spindle-sander. The sanding made some of them a little uneven, so next time (and next project) I’ll definitely go for a drill press spindle sanding kit or eventually an oscillating spindle machine.
I’ve also measured out for the mortises on the legs, and have built a temporary table and fence for the drill press to allow me to serially bore out the majority (with stop blocks for consistency in spacing) and clean them up with chisels. I’ll post a pic of that next time as I use it.
-- Todd (Denver, CO -- Highlands)