I cut the boards into each of the pieces last night. Even with the sapwood on the one piece and a few defects I wanted to remove, everything fit nicely without a lot of waste.
I also remembered to cut the short (bottle neck) racks a little wider so I can plow out the recesses with a forstner bit, then rip them to width after that waste wood is used to register the center of the bit. I had 5:1 odds on myself to forget that, but all is well.
Ran into a little issue with my splitter on my saw fence. It has always been JUST in alignment with the blade and wanting to return to out of alignment, so the first rip caught a little and I got some burn on one of the edges, but nothing I can’t scrape away, conceptually. I need to dig in there and shim out the splitter a bit (maybe a business card or less) and straighten out the stem of the splitter and I think all will be good there.
Next steps: cutting out the recesses for the bottles in the racks, and then My First Mortise and Tenon adventure :) On some practice poplar first, tho!
From back to front:
- 4 Legs
- 2 small racks where the bottle necks will sit (a little wider than needed, currently, to cut the holes easier)
- 2 large racks where the bottle bases will sit (and the accompanying template to cut them out)
- 4 side stretchers that will have the curve clipped out of them to meet the design
-- Todd (Denver, CO -- Highlands)